Taboose Pass or Sawmill Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Taboose Pass or Sawmill Pass

Post by Cross Country »

Usually about 3-4PM. It would be hot for about 2 hours, but when the sun went behind the mountains not so much. In July we would arrive 8-9Pm. You are looking into the sun (set) but usually through the shade of the trees. I always considered hiking until 10-11PM with a flashlight (cool hiking) but it never was necessary.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Also don't forget that the afternoon almost always has a good breeze in the Sierra and the morning rarely does.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Shade will reduce the radiant energy from the sun (as would a good backpack umbrella), but the air temperature will still be very hot. One trick I do on these passes is to wear wet clothes. At each stream, I just jump in and get wet, and am on my way. If you do not like full baptisimal immersion, just wet your head and hat and put a damp kerchief around your neck. Every little bit helps. A little breeze is also very helpful.

Night hiking is another subject too. Personally, my night sight is poor enough that I avoid it like the plague. I am a natural early-riser so getting up at 4AM is no problem, and I prefer to just get over the pass on one shot. After an 8-hour drive, in late afternoon, I only want to sit in the shade and drink beer. Everyone is different; just match your logistics with your personal needs.

Not to change the subject, but how does Baxter Pass fit into this evaluation? Easier, harder, road conditions, etc.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

At each stream, I just jump in and get wet, and am on my way. If you do not like full baptisimal immersion, just wet your head and hat and put a damp kerchief around your neck.
Wet your hair and a bandanna, place it over your head, under your hat, it will cool you off and stay wet longer.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ballpeen
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ballpeen »

I also like the afternoon start. Allows to drive to trailhead and start hiking same day. Also helps with acclimatization. For taboose last summer, the high temp was about 95 the day we started. We waited until after the temp peaked, around 4, and started hiking and were in shade within an hour. A bit toasty to start for sure, but overall pretty comfortable. We camped about halfway up, shortly after the first stream crossing. We used headlamps for the last half hour or so. I appreciated breaking the almost 6000' climb into two 3000' chunks.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have done both passes a couple of times, with a start time usually around 10AM... that's leaving the south coast at 4AM then have the permit in hand by 9AM. Sure, it's hot for the first couple of miles, but altitude is gained quickly so it also cools quickly and the breeze is kicking in. I hate waiting around, so I get started and get it over with. It's not what I recommend, it works for me because I'm solo with a load of less than 30 pounds. Which do I prefer? The one with the least amount of horse poop, go with the one not recommended for live stock.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Late afternoon starts are pretty good early or later in the season. When I hiked Shepherds last Sept we started about 4:30 and hiked up to Mahogany flat and camped. The sun set about the time we hit Symmes Saddle, about 30 min after that we were hiking by headlamp the rest of the way.

For summer starts on eastside pass trailheads I prefer to start pre-dawn. By the time things start to warm up you've already gained enough elevation it doesnt get all that hot.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Not to change the subject, but how does Baxter Pass fit into this evaluation? Easier, harder, road conditions, etc.
Baxter has easier road access than either Sawmill or Taboose, but that's probably its sole redeeming factor. The trail is not maintained and in spots is in poor shape. The canyon had a fire years ago and so there is little shade at lower elevations and many downed trees crossing the trail. I suspect with the wet winter this year it will be in really rough shape. I found the difficulty similar to Taboose and Sawmill. I'd definitely rank it lower than either Sawmill or Taboose as an access route to the backcountry.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

When compared to Sawmill and Taboose, Baxter is the ugliest on the lower third, because of the fire, but the most beautiful on the upper third with some pristine meadows and forest. Livestock not recommended making this trail a true footpath over the crest that is not ankle deep in sand.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

hey there

i wanted to clarify what ballpeen said about a late afternoon start from taboose trailhead: "We waited until after the temp peaked, around 4, and started hiking and were in shade within an hour."

i mentioned this idea to a friend, who was skeptical that we would really be in the shade so quickly. i myself haven't been up taboose, so i'm curious if others could corroborate what mr ballpeen experienced.

related: i know it's a bit far off, but would you all anticipate that the first stream crossing might be problematic in the afternoon? the photo someone posted last month was raging!

(we'd be heading up in the mid 20s of august.)