Advice on Routes between Lake Reflection and Upper Kern

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice on Routes between Lake Reflection and Upper Kern

Post by robertseeburger »

I am planning (hopefully) a return trip to the Upper Kern this summer, probably August. I have read many posts (like the circle of solitude) and can't quite get my head around which pass is best to cross between Lake Reflection and the Upper Kern. I of course realize snow may be an issue this year.

In terms of capability, I am posted several times and in last two years have been across many cross country passes, including Finger Col, Reinstein Pass, Crabtree Pass, Dumbell Lakes Pass, Cataract Creek Pass, and climbed Mounts Russell, Mcadie, Williamson, Sill, Goddard, Seven Gables and a few others.
No problems here. But I hate large talus with a pack, and consider myself "retired" from passes like Alpine Col and Snow Tongue Pass. So here goes..looking for input.

Harrison Pass... I have been over this long ago, and consider this no problem and would do it again, as long as I felt snow on the north side wasn't a issue.

Lucy's Foot Pass, and Thunder Col.. both look like too much talus ( like Alpine Col) this is what I have heard from others...horror stories.

Milly's Foot Pass. I have heard this is quite easy except for one short class 3 pitch. This class three pitch doesn't bother me if it is short. However, a source has told me that in recent years, a rockfall has occurred that makes this much more tedious than advertised. I consider this source unreliable though.
I was hoping to see a write up but didn't see one.

And lastly, I have been told that while not a pass, if you take a chute due east from Lake Reflection, and go to a high point between Milly's and Lucy's foot passes, it is easy class 2 on the west side and class 1 from the east. I haven't seen a write up here on anyone who has done this.

Right now, I think I am leaning for Milly's foot pass, but would like input and advice...(I hate large talus with a pack on more than mosquitoes!).
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Re: Advice on Routes between Lake Reflection and Upper Kern

Post by alpinemike »

The pass that you refer to between Lucy's and Milly's is Little Joe's Pass. Rogue and I went over last summer. I did a write up on it. Out of all the passes I do believe it is the preferred one since it has no Class 3 and drops you out closer to LSA and has very little major talus. Just make sure you enter the proper chute.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

alpinemike wrote:The pass that you refer to between Lucy's and Milly's is Little Joe's Pass. Rogue and I went over last summer. I did a write up on it. Out of all the passes I do believe it is the preferred one since it has no Class 3 and drops you out closer to LSA and has very little major talus. Just make sure you enter the proper chute.
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I plan on potentially hiking from Lake South America to Reflection Lake in mid-August as part of my annual foray into the Sierra. What I've read is that Harrison Pass is the easiest, but then none of those sources mentioned Little Joe's. I take it that you are saying that Little Joe's Pass, at least when you used it in 2016 was easier than Harrison Pass or at least no worse, correct?

(Heading to the HST map now to read about it.)
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Assuming you go up the correct chute it will undoubtedly be easier than Harrison Pass. From all accounts Harrison is steep and sandy and a real grueling climb. While Little Joe's is no walk in the park it is not as steep and there isn't a plethora of sand and dirt like Harrison. The one nice thing about Harrison is you get to see a couple beautiful teams that you wouldn't see going up Joe's. In terms of a straight up climb Joe's is more sustained since you just go straight up the hillside instead of following the drainage to get to Harrison. Harrison also drops you out right above LSA versus Joe's which doesn't. Both have their advantages and drawbacks but I hate sand and dirt and the risk of major snow is much higher on Harrison than Joe's.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks, it's hard to tell sometimes looking at lines on a topo map which way is best.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And lastly, I have been told that while not a pass, if you take a chute due east from Lake Reflection, and go to a high point between Milly's and Lucy's foot passes, it is easy class 2 on the west side and class 1 from the east. I haven't seen a write up here on anyone who has done this
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15485#p116034
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Thanks for the quick replies!. Wow, I didn't know that it was called Little Joe's Pass in my search. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for and agree it looks best way, especially in a high snow year...
Electra
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Electra »

I can only comment on Milly's and Thunder Col. I recall Milly's being straight forward with the one steeper/class 3 section near the top. As for Thunder Col or what I thought was Thunder Col, it was way more extreme on the west side with an initial walled in steep section followed by a long slightly less steep small scree/talus slope before slightly larger talus and slabsfor a long time to get you down to the creek/tarn area. I was solo so Thunder Col seemed very adventurous and beta at the time (15 years ago?) was 'sparse' and my maps not highly detailed so I was winging it a bit. Beautiful country....
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Indeed Lucy's can be a real scramble in a heavy snow year. We never would have done it without crampons, axe, and rope to secure our young sons. Another point I'd like to make is that Harrison and Erickson Passes take one through some of the most sublime mountain scenery! Namely, the amazing Ericson Crags, which I still dream of climbing one day. They must be some of the most remote giant walls in the range. You say you've been there years ago, so what about the Thunder Col idea? I cramponed up toward it from above Lake Reflection, and it was a really beautiful morning for me. Ever since, I have wanted to head over the K-K Divide via that col. Whatever you do, have a wonderful trip Robert.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I remember starting down to Reflection from Millys Foot Pass thinking "oh my god I wish I had done this circle of solitude in reverse". It was 1986 and I didn't know the that the circle of solitude had a name but I saw almost nobody on the trip.