North lake or Rae Lakes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

North lake or Rae Lakes?

Post by Npike »

Looking for advice on which "long trip" to take this summer. I have permission from the Mrs. to take a week long trek and I already have a permit booked out of north lake to do either the semi loop to south lake or the loop over Lamarck col back to my starting point. This trip will be in the middle of September. But now I'm wondering if Rae Lakes loop would be more enjoyable. I know both of these are classics, but want to know which one you would do if it were your first 5-7 day solo trip. Each one has its "reasons" for me wanting to do, just wondering what trip you would prefer. For me, Rae lakes sounds less strenuous (I could be totally wrong here), looks like it would require less days (more time to take my time), but the north lake option looks more scenic (ive read about evolution valley photo opportunities during a new moon). So...what do you think?
The hermit
Topix Regular

Re: North lake or Rae Lakes?

Post by The hermit »

North Lake loop was my first " long" trip. I've only been to Rae lakes from onion Valley not the classic loop. It's a tough decision. I'm sure you can't go wrong
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

The time of year may enter into your decision. For example, I like the Rae Lakes Loop as a spring runoff trip, that is, when the cascades are impressive. Parts of it are also rather photogenic during fall colors.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

For 7 full days, my pick would be to do the North Lake to South Lake trip. Humphrey's Basin (commanding peaks, ridges, and pretty lakes), Hutchinson Meadow, Aspen Meadow, Evolution-Colby Meadow (Evolution Valley with great views), Evolution Basin (beautiful peaks and Shappire/Wanda Lake), LeConte Canyon (Big Pete and Little Pete Meadows), Dusy Basin (beautiful lakes and ever the inspiring Palisades Ridge), Bishop Pass (good views), Inconsolable Range and several pretty lakes back to the South Lake trailhead.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Slightly nervous about the hitchhike situation that late in the year, might throw me off for a day. Is doing the north-south lake loop in 6 days too ambitious?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is doing the north-south lake loop in 6 days too ambitious?
You had written in another post (2015) that your were comfy with 12 miles a day, on trail, that puts you at 72 miles for 6 days, you should have no problem, the days will be shorter and a little cooler, especially at night.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

If you are worried about hitchhiking, you can turn the North Lake to South Lake into a complete loop, something quite doable in 7 days. You will have about two hours of walking on roads but will add an interesting segment going up through Tyee Lakes and over Table Mountain.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... plete+loop
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are other North Lake loops. Humphreys-Puppet Lakes, Royce Lakes, Granite Basin, Italy Pass, White Bear, Black Bear, then several ways to get back. ie: Marie Lake and JMT to Evolution and out Lamarck Col.

When I did Rae Lakes loop I added a loop into Gardnier Basin - then over a little pass from 60 Lakes to the Rae Lakes loop- also added a night up at Window Lake. That makes a longer trip. Rae Lakes Loop, just by itself, is pretty short.

Depends on where you have already been. I would go for the area with the most new stuff.

You did not say how much off-trail you want to do. That may make a difference.
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Thanks for all the feedback! it really sounds like I can't go wrong. I figure Ill save the Rae Lakes loop to do with my daughter when she's old enough for that kind of thing (still a few more years to go).
Wandering Daisy wrote:There are other North Lake loops. Humphreys-Puppet Lakes, Royce Lakes, Granite Basin, Italy Pass, White Bear, Black Bear, then several ways to get back. ie: Marie Lake and JMT to Evolution and out Lamarck Col.

When I did Rae Lakes loop I added a loop into Gardnier Basin - then over a little pass from 60 Lakes to the Rae Lakes loop- also added a night up at Window Lake. That makes a longer trip. Rae Lakes Loop, just by itself, is pretty short.

Depends on where you have already been. I would go for the area with the most new stuff.

You did not say how much off-trail you want to do. That may make a difference.
I will be definitely looking at other options as I get closer to the date. Thanks for the ideas! although I am completely new to off trail hiking, I want to try my hand this summer in Humphreys basin. Based on some feedback I got from one of my earlier posts, thats the perfect place to go and "get lost"
kpeter wrote:If you are worried about hitchhiking, you can turn the North Lake to South Lake into a complete loop, something quite doable in 7 days. You will have about two hours of walking on roads but will add an interesting segment going up through Tyee Lakes and over Table Mountain.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... plete+loop
This sounds interesting. I had read this TR before but didn't really consider it an option. If i can't hitch a ride looks like this may be the way to go, or just start and end at N. lake exiting over Lamarck.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

I've done some of this, not all. I havn't been from Leconte Canyon to South Lake, and I've only done the Bubbs Creek trail, not Woods Creek. I say North Lake/South Lake is the better trip.