Route input/advice: SHR/Monarch Divide (late June?)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Route input/advice: SHR/Monarch Divide (late June?)

Post by commonloon »

I'm trying to put together a route for 3 of us. We are Level 4 backpackers, fit and comfortable with snow travel (ice and crampons ok). I say the latter, as I'm assuming that unless something dramatic happens we're having a big snow year.

My 2 buddies have section hiked the entire SHR sans the section from Road's End to Marion Lake. I've done it all sans Sky Pilot Col, but haven't seen the Tehipite Valley. So, I'm hoping to put together a loop that gets in this 1st section and sees the Tehipite Valley. Also, probably going to skip Frozen Lake pass and instead take a short cut over Dumbbell Pass to cut some mileage off.

Draft route is (questions in italics):

* Start at Road's End.
* Follow High Route to Marion Lake.
* Dumbbell and Cataract Creek Pass. I'm guessing this will be alpine land early season.
* Descend to Palisades Creek near "Deer Meadow." Is this going to be too high to cross safely?!
* JMT down to trail for Middle Fork. The topo says footbridge, but I don't remember a footbridge here. I've looked at the HST map and don't see dangerous crossings, but safe crossing early?
* Middle Fork trail to Tehipite Valley.
* How the heck do I get up to Harrington Pass, etc. w/o doing real climbing? Gorge of Despair looks too steep? We are all comfortable w/ class 3 and have a mixture of varying degrees of rock & alpine climbing experience among us, but this is "Adventure" backpacking trip, not a climbing trip.
* Back down to Lewis Creek trailhead(?).

Thanks in advance!!!
commonloon
Topix Regular

Re: Route input/advice: SHR/Monarch Divide (late June?)

Post by commonloon »

Oh, I see Secor says no route up/down via Gorge of Despair. I guess this might be an out and back bit.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How the heck do I get up to Harrington Pass, etc. w/o doing real climbing? Gorge of Despair looks too steep? We are all comfortable w/ class 3 and have a mixture of varying degrees of rock & alpine climbing experience among us, but this is "Adventure" backpacking trip, not a climbing trip.
Sorry, but that ain't gonna happen. Blue Canyon and Gorge of Despair have been done by some folks wearing wet suits, but repelling from the top and not at the height of the run-off, climbing up from TV is out.
River crossings will be difficult, but Middle Fork Kings could be impossible/dangerous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Maverick. Yes, saw that in Secor (GoD), just after posting, and kind of thought that about the Middle Kings. Will rule that out.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You may want to consider jumping the ridge near Granite Pass, into Volcanic Lakes at Lake 10288, over the Dead Pine Ridge into Slide Creek drainage, over Gimme Pass into Swamp Lake area, then down to the edge of the divide, along GoD, the views of Tehipite Dome are outstanding, not seen by many, it is well worth the hike.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks! Going to try to work that in...