Looking For Extremely Low Mile Overnighter?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Looking For Extremely Low Mile Overnighter?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Yes, I plan on doing that. Assuming the campgrounds are open around there. Otherwise it'll be tough. The good part is she's always in the higher elevations with us doing smaller walks and what not, so it's not like they would be completely new to her. Granted it's obviously different backpacking hundreds of feet than nothing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Suggestions thus far have been more than a mile, some a few, with more vertical climbing than you want. To hike with a backpack only a mile, one needs to think out of the box. Places near trailheads that most people will not bother with that are interesting. From trailheads cars park at, any interesting places with a trail are also likely to see day hikers. If there is a lake or stream that is more likely to be fishermen regardless of a trail or not.

The following is not however a mile from a trailhead but rather less than a mile from the Florence Lake reservoir ferry drop off point. I have not personally visited the spot but have group camped another mile upstream that is similar. Most anyone, including fishermen that bother with the not small ferry fee are highly unlikely to target this area but rather Blaney Meadows. By the west side reservoir trail this spot is several unpleasant miles.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.24079,-118.93534&z=15&t=T

To hike there will require about 300 feet of vertical climb and a bit less than one mile distance. Half the hike is on the trail and the rest cross country on easy granite bedrock. On the above link change from topo to Satellite tabs and zoom in. By this July at just 7400 feet in an extensive large canyon bottomland, it is certain to be snow free. The river however is certain to be high and exciting foaming and cascading over the bedrock. Your mother-in-law will be much more impressed than to any second rate near trailhead lake pounded by day hikers. A good spot to take off the shoes and hang them in shallow stream side spots of the wonderfully clean water. At the map link cross hairs one can see a small grove of shade providing camp site trees and and the map shows a seasonal streamlet. It is far enough away from the trails that it will be out of sight and out of day time shouting range so ought to provide a real wilderness experience. Also far enough away that any trail black bears are not likely to ever bothering to check out. In July the granite bedrock sand flats are certain to have small flowers like pussypaws and monkeyflower. Snowy pyramidal Mt Shinn at 11k rises 3700 feet directly above. A wilderness permit will not be necessary, just a California campfire permit one can get online. In any case it there will likely be signs of past camping below the trees and it is possible a person taking the ferry might venture upon it.

just returned from a 10 day road trip in our deserts chasing wildflowers,
David
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

If your mother-in-law enjoys meadow/forest hiking, I might recommend backpacking through Redwood Mountain in KIngs Canyon. It's only about five miles to the campsites, there's little elevation change, and it's one of the few places on earth that you can actually camp under sequoias. The forest is as good as it gets, and if you go at the right time of year, there will be gobs of gooseberries, raspberries, and thimble berries ripe for the picking. However, if you're looking for big mountain scenery, you're not going to get much of that.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

She killed it on the Wawona trip. No issues with the creek crossings that normally don't exist (or I guess haven't the past few years). Climbing wasn't an issue, and neither was the descend. I would think right now she can do this in the higher elevations, perhaps with more breaks, but I was very pleased. I definitely thought she would have struggled in some parts and she definitely didn't.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

SSSdave wrote:less than a mile from the Florence Lake reservoir ferry drop off point. ... A wilderness permit will not be necessary
This spot is within John Muir Wilderness, so I think that a wilderness permit will be necessary.
See the orange wilderness boundary at https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... &z=15&t=t2
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.