Workweek Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sgenise
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Workweek Backpacking

Post by sgenise »

Sometimes people get that bewildered look when I say this, but I guarantee I'm not the only one that does it.

Because of some unfortunate employment circumstances, I work 7 days/week, but I still get that backpacking bug every now and then, so about once every couple of weeks I pack my bag, keep it in my car, and then right after work drive somewhere wild (thankfully the Bay Area has relatively nearby access to a lot of wilderness), pack in about 2-3 miles, then wake up early the next morning to pack out and get to work on time, keeping a change of clothes in the car.

If anyone else does this, what are your favorite spots? Anything in the Bay Area that I should be aware of to open up my options more?
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Workweek Backpacking

Post by dave54 »

There used to be website somewhere that focused on S24 trips. No longer exists, or at least I can no longer find it.

S24 = Sub 24 hours.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Nearly all of my wife and my trips to Point Reyes are under 24 hours. It's 90 minutes from our house to being at the campsite at Sky Camp and about 2 hours to Coast Camp, including stopping to pick up the permit. So we usually leave early afternoon, get to the campsite between 3:00 and 4:00 and get back home around noon the next day. It's a fabulous escape and always feels like it lasted much longer.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sgenise
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sgenise »

LMBSGV wrote:Nearly all of my wife and my trips to Point Reyes are under 24 hours. It's 90 minutes from our house to being at the campsite at Sky Camp and about 2 hours to Coast Camp, including stopping to pick up the permit.
Do you live in Petaluma/Novato/Santa Rosa? I live in Berkeley but work in Petaluma, and so Point Reyes and Lake Sonoma's hike-in sites are my usual go-to. I agree, it's a fantastic place and super convenient!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I live in San Geronimo Valley. It's the semi-rural string of 4 villages west of Fairfax and just east of Samuel P. Taylor State Park bisected by Sir Francis Drake Boulevard.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com