help with a 4 to 5 day, 35 mile loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

help with a 4 to 5 day, 35 mile loop

Post by overheadx2 »

I am getting ready to take my brother from HI on our annual backpacking trip in early Sept. We are getting more comfortable with XC trails and wanted to do more of it. He only gets one trip per year, so I always try to make it pretty spectacular. We've done a lot out of the east side and wanted to try a SEKI trip. I was thinking of a Cedar grove trip, but we're not to interested in the Rae lakes crowd. Thinking about Kings Canyon (sphinxs lake, Granite pass areas), sequoia table land area or northern Yosemite Areas. We've done most of Mineral king, Rae lakes and Tuolunmne area. Looking for a 35 mile loop with Fishing,veiws, no more than class 2 passes and relatively uncrowded off trail lakes near the tree line (not a big fan of desolate lakes). Maybe something amazing off the 108? Any suggestions
Last edited by overheadx2 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: help with a 4 to 5 day, 35 mile loop

Post by oldranger »

Do a search for Woodchuck country. you will find some old discussions of loop and lollipop routes that would get you to at least 4 fish bearing lakes. I think I have 3 different TRs. Though there are trails the best routes are either off trail or on trails that are seldom maintained. The maintained trails get lots of stock travel and are very circuitous. You do need to be comfortable navigating off trail in forested areas to enjoy this trip.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

When? Creek crossings will be a big issue in some areas in June-July.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Sorry, he is set for mid Sept.
Old ranger, I have looked at Woodchuck and even Red Mountain Basin area. Neither seem to be spectacular, but I respect your input. I will look that direction again. Thanks for the input.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Road's End>Bubb's>Avalanche Pass Trail>Sphinx Lakes>Longley Pass>Lake Reflection>East Lake>Bubb's>Roads End

Copper Creek>Grouse Lake>Glacier Lake (Lake 10172 12")>State Lakes (Lake 10250 12")>Horseshoe Lakes>Volcanic Lakes (Lake 10777 12" and up)>Granite Lake>Copper Creek

Both trips very scenic, there is a class 2 pass from Volcanic Lakes to Granite Lake, so you do not have to backtrack, north of Volcanic Lake 10288 and east over the ridge.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

thank you mav.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Mav, the Volcanic Lakes loop looks perfect except for the 5k in and out. Isolation has its price I guess. Hopefully I can talk my brother and his knees into doing this. Any other suggestions any where (immagrant, Yosemite north) are still appreciated.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would argue with the idea that the Red Mountain Basin area is not spectacular. In fact, I keep going back to Red Mountain Basin, Bench Valley, and other basins along that divide, because it is in fact gorgeous and remote and the trails are falling into disrepair -- and Goddard Canyon, also gorgeous, and Ionian, and McGuire Lakes....

Woodchuck Country is not spectacular, but Red Mountain Basin is not in that region.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Mav, the Volcanic Lakes loop looks perfect except for the 5k in and out. Isolation has its price I guess. Hopefully I can talk my brother and his knees into doing this. Any other suggestions any where (Emmagrant, Yosemite north) are still appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The Northern Yosemite Loop would be great too, but it is around 48 miles, so would advise adding an extra day to make it more palatable for your brother. Crown Lake, Sawtooth Ridge, Matterhorn Canyon from Burro Pass, Smedberg Lake, Benson Lake, Kerrick Canyon, and Peeler Lake are wonderful and worth visiting.
An alternative, which would cut down on some of the mileage, would be to go up Little Slide Canyon, over Ice Lake Pass (class 2), down Big Slide Canyon, this would allow you spend a night around Finger Peaks after going over ILP, soak in the views of the Sawtooth Ridge at Sunset, run up to the top of Burro Pass in the morning to take in the sublime view of Matterhorn Canyon, before descending into Big Slide Canyon. Descending into BSC will allow you to visit Piute Creek (good fishing), Doe & Tallulah Lakes (good fishing), Smedberg Lake (good fishing), and Benson Lake (decent-good fishing, sandy beach, the Sierra Riviera). Seavey Pass area is quite pretty with several charming lakes, some hidden from one's view from the trail.