Prominent Peaks / Domes in the Sierra Backcountry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Prominent Peaks / Domes in the Sierra Backcountry

Post by maverick »

What is/are the most aesthetically pleasing prominent peaks, that stands above the rest, to you, and something that continues to impress you no matter how many times you have seen it or something you would like to re-visit again? Maybe Aperture Peak, The Whaleback, Tehipite Dome, Valhalla, Seven Gables Peak, Mt. Ritter/Banner, one of the Minarets, Sawtooth Ridge, Devil's Crag?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Prominent Peaks / Domes in the Sierra Backcountry

Post by tweederjohnson »

East Vidette is always striking when approaching from Onion Valley or Glen Pass.

Round Top near Carson Pass is a nice one too...especially from across highway 88.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

My favorite has to be Mt. Silliman in SEKI. Easily seen from the valley on clear day and a really fun day hike. Plus it towers over Ranger Lake.
2015-11-19 14-01-ShellMountain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Separating peaks out from adjacent peaks has aesthetic issues so a most realistic evaluation has to accept a primary peak within a setting of other aesthetic peaks.

As an example, with Clyde Minaret that is aesthetically problematic. Its best singular viewpoint is from the meadow below but allowing its complementing other peaks looks much better from back of the east side of Minaret Lake. Usually the most impressive single peaks are only so from limited or single perspectives. Rare are the symmetrical peaks like volcanic Mount Fuji, that are exceptionally aesthetic from all directions. Besides the below there are many fine peaks in the backcountry I have seen but not adequately captured in good light, that from some perspectives are superb.

In the High Sierra Cathedral Peak is of course famous, but I would challenge any other photographers to find this perspective haha. Anything within a few hundred feet of my tripod spot tended to be blocked by trees.

A famous which-a-ma-callit peak in Dusy Basin.

Avalanche chutes on a peak don't get any better:

Red Slate from Triassic Meadow is a colorfully fine sight:

David
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

I always love Sawtooth Peak from Visalia, especially covered in snow. I have such a great view from my front door, never tire of looking at it. This goes well with the Kaweah ridge just to the viewer's right, but Sawtooth has always stood out.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

OK, I'll take the Mr. Obvious role: all the great towers above Yosemite Valley like Half Dome, El Cap, Sentinel Rock, Cathedral Spires, etc.

You mentioned Tehipite Dome, the Fin Dome near lower Rae Lake is similarly impressive. And in the just plain fun category, Painted Lady with her eyeglasses and hat. But my personal favorite is walking through LeConte Canyon and looking up at the Citadel.

Beyond the Sierra, Grand Teton is another obvious great.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OK, I'll take the Mr. Obvious role: all the great towers above Yosemite Valley like Half Dome, El Cap, Sentinel Rock, Cathedral Spires, etc.
Backcountry, Dave. :) Let me be a little more specific, places you cannot see from your car window.

Will add Arrow Peak too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I rather like Huxley. There are so many to choose from, but when I first saw this, I thought, "this is a classic storybook mountain."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Lesser known: The back side of Slide Mountain from Crown Lake:

Banner:

And Conness in Yosemite always makes me smile:

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Mt. Clarence King
MountClarenceKing-tarn-sunset-16.jpg
Mt. Humphreys
Muriel-Humphreys-16.jpg
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com