Trip Report: Rae Lakes - Late August 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Report: Rae Lakes - Late August 2016

Post by notis »

This is one of the hikes that pushed me to move to California. Yep.

We got a semi-late start at Roads End, having driven up from San Diego the morning of. I think we were on the trail around 1 or 2pm? We did the loop clockwise.

A swimming hole somewhere near Mist Falls. We took the opportunity to play instead of making more miles that day.

We camped at Middle Paradise Meadow. Saw a bear and her cub while looking for a campsite. Despite my attempts to yell at it, wave my hands, and toss a rock near it, she didn’t care one bit. It eventually sauntered off. Like giant raccoons or something…

The morning after the standoff.

Upper Paradise Meadow bridge. Fran encountered a threatening snake nearby.

I thought this bridge was so darn cool. Met a few thru-hikers on the other side, and they were fun to talk to—hearing their stories.

Dollar and Arrowhead Lake areas on the way to Rae Lakes—stunning.

Our first glimpse of Rae Lakes!!! I think I put this image on a Sierras Calendar I made Fran for Christmas. It was just phenomenal.

We arrived near dusk, and many campsites were taken at Middle Rae Lake. But we found one, threw down our polycro and Locus Gear Hapi, and slept so, so soundly.

Middle Rae in the morning. I’ve had breakfast worst places.

In the future, I think we’ll take a zero day here. Not for rest, but to explore. I really want to get up to 60 Lakes Basin. I also really want to swim out to this mini island.

Ascent of Glen Pass.

From the top of Glen Pass. Really neat views from up here. In late August of 2016 it was totally snow-free.

Descent of Glen Pass.

Looking towards East Vidette & Co.

We camped in Junction Meadow. I’d expected there to be more hikers joining us. I don’t know why, but it was eerie when there weren't any--probably because we'd been used to seeing so many people that trip. Turns out, if we’d gone not even a mile further, there were numerous campsites right near Bubbs Creek. The next morning, we passed many of the folks we’d “expected” to see.

Once we made it back to Roads End, we took a nice, cleansing soak in the ice-cold creek. Honestly, this hike was never stale—there was beauty around every turn. A huge thank you to the folks on HST for information as I lurked; and a huge thank you to BPL for helping us keep our base weight around 7 pounds each.

zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip Report: Rae Lakes - Late August 2016

Post by zacjust32 »

Nice report and great pictures! This was my first real backpacking trip and it definitely holds a special place in my heart. How many days/nights did you do it in?
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Great pictures on both reports and I really admire your perspective on all your shots. Please tell me that's not from a point and shoot camera!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Thanks guys!! It's cool to feel like I'm helping folks on HST like they have done to me.

Zac, we did it in 3 nights and about 3 days. I think next time we'll work in some time for 60 Lakes and Gardner Basin exploration.

Freestone, I use a GoPro Hero4 Silver. Then I touch things up in iPhoto so they look more like what we actually saw :)
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I never tire of trip reports for this loop. Thanks.
rbrowndos
Topix Newbie

Post by rbrowndos »

Great pics - we have the same trip planned for August 2017, anything you would have done differently other than the zero day?
rbrowndos
Topix Newbie

Post by rbrowndos »

Great pics - we have the same trip planned for August 2017, anything you would have done differently other than the zero day?
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Great trip report. 3 days is aggressive. This was my second ever backpack trip, 1968 ( a heavy snow year...dead burro on caught in snow on north side of glen pass)...never get tired of seeing Rae Lakes. If return, consider day hike to Dragon Lake as well for view back to Rae Lakes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If return, consider day hike to Dragon Lake as well for views back to Rae Lakes.
Also using it as a campsite location, it offers solitude during the high season.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

rbrowndos: Besides the zero day, I think the only thing we'd do differently is make it to Upper Paradise for the first night instead of Middle. But we chose to play in a stream near Mist Falls instead of making miles :) Like Maverick and Robert said, Dragon Lake is another spot we'd like to explore when we go back.