TR: 2016 Old Fart Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 2016 Old Fart Trip

Post by sekihiker »

Great photos. Looks like you had fun.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Thanks for the additional photos Tom. Really adds to the report!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did that route very late (October) in a dry year. It is a great route. Went in via Vogalsang and then over the top to Nelson Lake. Nice to see the scenery when it was a bit more green. Wondered what the mosquitoes would be like earlier. I usually avoid Yosemite in July.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for the report and the photos. I've been to all those places except Matthes Lake. After seeing your photos, I've got to go there! I really love all the easy cross-country routes in the Cathedral Range, and the combination of open granite, forests, and meadows.
-Phil
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

wildhiker wrote:Thanks for the report and the photos. I've been to all those places except Matthes Lake. After seeing your photos, I've got to go there! I really love all the easy cross-country routes in the Cathedral Range, and the combination of open granite, forests, and meadows.
-Phil
Matthes Lake was by far my favorite place on the trip. And yeah, the cross-country travel is great in the Cathedral Range.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: 2016 Old Fart Trip, part 2

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report, including Tom's supplemental photos. It was great to meet up with you guys at the Cathedrals. Hopefully I'll be able to intercept the Old Farts trip this year too.
oldranger wrote: John soon took off and as he reported last summer made a few last casts in the lower lake but to no avail.
Well, not exactly "no avail". See my little account of the meet-up dayhike at.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14689
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;