Hetch Hetchy/Vernon Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetch Hetchy/Vernon Loop

Post by AlmostThere »

I've reserved permits from them and had them put it in the night drop so we could get to the ranger station at 5 am, get the permit, and go to the trailhead.

You're going to do the same thing as in Yosemite. Hike until you run into solid snow. Lake Eleanor is a gorgeous place to camp and fish, going up to some of the higher lakes may mean postholing and wallowing around in deep drifts depending. You're not getting to Jack Main regardless of how you go. Maybe Kibbie....
suziet_
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by suziet_ »

Well, you can't reserve more than 24 hours in advance. I'll set up a reminder on my phone to call that week.
brianA
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by brianA »

Just called the Hetch Hetchy entrance, and one bridge at Wapama is indeed damaged. The repairs were supposed to be completed by March 31st, but as of yet they're not done. The other entrance to the backcountry from Hetch Hetchy (Laurel Lake) is also closed due to a rockslide. Repairs on that will start when the bridge repairs are done. I was hoping to get up to Rancheria next week, but it's doubtful.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The other entrance to the backcountry from Hetch Hetchy (Laurel Lake) is also closed due to a rockslide.
Road status for Hetch Hetchy is open. from 8 am - 7 pm: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JohnCurranLadd
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JohnCurranLadd »

I hope you will report on your experience. I'm hoping to do the same loop -- or more likely part of it -- the weekend following memorial Day.