TR: Circle of Solitude via Harrison Pass - 8/4/16-8/11/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Circle of Solitude via Harrison Pass - 8/4/16-8/11/1

Post by maiathebee »

SSSdave wrote:Notice all your images are 1,600px × 1,202px (HST scaled to 759px × 570px) (or portrait so) as is on your blog. Would expect you are using a camera with much more resolution than 2 megapixels then downsizing to that practical web size but oddly never cropping for best aesthetic? Generally you have an excellent group of aesthetic images very well exposed. On some of your images can see the fine job you did lining up foregrounds. Well done! And quite enjoyed your well written accompanying text. Thanks for taking the time to craft a fine report and sharing.
Thanks David! I love hearing about your previous trips and plans. And yeah, I shot this with a Panasonic Lumix GX-7 fitted with the LUMIX G VARIO 12-60/F3.5-5.6. Previous trips I've just taken my 20mm f1.7 prime lens, but I wanted a bit more flexibility this time. I kept the embedded photos here at a smaller resolution to make the pages load faster. If you click on the photos, it'll take you to the flickr page where you can see higher res versions if you want :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for all the photos. The extra saturation didn't bother me. Great vicarious trip.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Seriously, Maia--you're a talented photographer *and* writer. My girlfriend reads this food blog called Pinch of Yum. That's what your blog reminds me of. Some good, dry, millennial humor mixed in there. Thanks for the inspiration for a hike around that area. Keep it up!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I did this trip, but in reverse and I went over Milly's foot pass. I did the trip solo. I DIDN'T HAVE A CAMERA. It's really great looking at these photos. It's my first time looking at photos of this. It's a treat. I easily remember all of it even before I saw these photos. I took this trip about 1987. I camped with 3 different people at Colby, just below Milly's foot, and at the campsite just below the junction of Sphinx and Bubbs. After leaving Bubbs Creek until just below Colby Lake I didn't see anybody for 2 days (on a trail no less). It really is a circle of solitude. On several trips I spent more than two days alone but always cross country. This really was, for me, a great trip report. Thank you.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

notis wrote:Seriously, Maia--you're a talented photographer *and* writer. My girlfriend reads this food blog called Pinch of Yum. That's what your blog reminds me of. Some good, dry, millennial humor mixed in there. Thanks for the inspiration for a hike around that area. Keep it up!
Thank you!!! It's nice to hear that you enjoyed reading as well as looking at pictures :)
Cross Country wrote:It's a treat. I easily remember all of it even before I saw these photos.
Yay, glad I could take you down memory lane :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great trip and amazing photos! Thanks for the vicarious journey.
boognish
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by boognish »

That looks like an amazing trip. I love the pictures. Thanks.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Awesome and inspiring report!