Yosemite Memorial Weekend / Clouds Rest

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Brsed
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Yosemite Memorial Weekend / Clouds Rest

Post by Brsed »

1. Last Memorial Day weekend, we had a great time hiking Half Dome with a stay before and after in LYV after receiving a permit from the Happy Isle to LYV. Snow was negligible. This year, we have a permit from Glacier Point >>> Illillouette and plan to hike Clouds Rest. How much snow should we expect up to Clouds Rest based on this year's snowfall. Is it too early to predict?

2. I assume that the Glacier Point >>> Illilloette Permit will not permit us to camp at LYV so we will either need to camp before or after LYV. Plan is to arrive at Yosemite Thursday, stay the night in the Valley and then enter the TH on Friday, hike Clouds Rest on Saturday and depart on Sunday evening or Monday morning. Any suggestions on where we should camp if heading out from the TH very early in the morning and then hoping to reach Clouds Rest on Day 2.

3. if you have thoughts about a "better" hike from Glacier Point, I'm open to that as well.

4. What you need to know about us. We have moderate level of hiking / backpacking experience. Aside from HD, I spent a couple weeks hiking the JMT this summer but spend most of my outdoor time canoe camping in Canada. Hiking partner hiked Kilimanjaro in December. We are flatlanders from the Chicago area so we are okay hikers but have no technical climbing ability so no more than Class 2 (light) is probably best for us.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Brian
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Memorial Weekend / Clouds Rest

Post by AlmostThere »

I'd say the odds are good there will be plenty of snow left over Memorial Day. You can't base anything on last year. This year, it's well over 150% of average, and another 20-40 inches falling this week.

I have a permit for the last week of June - first week of July that the ranger told me we could change the date once for free, because they were not sure the road to the trailhead would even be open by then.... All bets are off. But if you don't want to posthole or deal with any amount of snow, I suspect that you are scheduling too early.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

From looking at past opening dates of the Glacier Pt. road it looks like they make a point of opening for memorial day. However if the winter and spring snowfall continues I would say there is a good chance that the road won't be opened for memorial day.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Brsed
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Brsed »

Thanks Almost There. Old Ranger, Friday before Memorial Day is the scheduled first day of the road being open. Perhaps I am cutting it too close. Maybe I will go to Quetico over Memorial and hike the HST in late August / September. Oh, the struggles and frustration of being a flatlander. First world problems. Thanks guys.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

It is not just the snow that will be the issue. Damage from rockslides and flood damage could divert road crews from opening the road as early as planned. Not saying it won't be open but there are some unusual conditions this year. If you have to make a firm commitment and reservations made you might want to think twice.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!