Evolution Valley Loop?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
udpumpkin
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Evolution Valley Loop?

Post by udpumpkin »

A couple of years ago, I received some excellent trip advice on this forum and thought I would try again.

I'm targeting a hike to Evolution Valley that is ideally a loop and is something that can be done in four days (< 40 miles preferably). Our group will be seasoned trail backpackers but not necessarily seasoned x-country backpackers. Many in this group did the Iceberg to Cecile hike a couple of years ago and that was on the edge of their comfort zone. There was no snow and only loose talus on that hike.

I have read some reports that start at Piute Pass and loop back via Lamarck Col. Those reports make the hike over Lamarck Col sound similar to our Iceberg Lake experience (loose talus, no exposure, class 2). This wouldn't be a bad thing except I am concerned about the snow conditions for an early August trip given the wet winter we have had. Any thoughts on whether this would be a dicey scramble in early August this year?

Are there any other recommendations for hiking Evolution Valley in ~4 days? I have read about starting at Florence Lake but the drive sounded more harrowing than hiking Lamarck Col. We could also consider shuttling a couple of cars in the event a loop can't be planned out.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Evolution Valley Loop?

Post by maverick »

Get permits for both variations and check back here in July for TR's over Lamarck Col, you should be able to make an informed decision based on that information, and then choose the route that is the safest and most feasible for your group.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
udpumpkin
Topix Novice

Post by udpumpkin »

That's probably the best bet. Is the entry from Florence Lake the only feasible option if you want to stay on trails and keep the trip under 40 miles?

Thanks!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Evolution Valley is not as interesting as the high country above it. Historically it is praised in that region mainly because during early years most visitors arrived by horse and base camped down in forested areas versus timberline where horses could pasture and there was lots of wood for their usual bonfires. In this era locations above the valley like Darwin Bench, Evolution Lake, and McGee Lakes are favored destinations because they are simply more scenic while most visitors hike in and no longer build fires at all.

That said, an approach via Lamarck Col to timberline areas has less mileage so takes less days. When you state 4 days I infer that means 4 nights and 5 days as 3 nights and 4 days is too little from any trailhead given the effort? The notion many seem to have now that out and back trips must be boring while loops will be interesting always seeing new landscapes IMO tends to be misguided unless a person is not paying attention. By early August Lamrack Col's only difficult section across the snowfield is certain to have a well pounded track. The difficulty there is after all a previous winter's snow has melted late season leaving only glare hard glacial ice surfaces that resists making step placements in.

Members that have trouble walking off trail generally are not going to like the route down from the Col along the Darwin Canyon lakes because there are short sections of large talus and areas of footing have granite sand and other awkwardness.

If deciding on the east approach, do not plan on going over the Col the first day as many groups do because there is too much vertical and one will only drag into a camp exhausted. Instead either stay at Upper Lamarck Lake or the pleasant whitebark and turf zone at 11600 that are both very scenic. Then on night 2 day camp down at the east end of Evolution Valley. Night 3 at Evolution Lake. Night 4 at Darwin Bench or lake 11592 then hike out day 5. That will give you time on day 3 and day 4 to actually explore those icon areas versus continually being on some trail carrying a pack.

David
udpumpkin
Topix Novice

Post by udpumpkin »

David, thank you very much for the detailed reply.

Evolution Valley made my list because in past backpacking trips when we asked people hiking the JMT what their favorite part had been Evolution Valley was a common response.

One of my best trips was one I planned with the help of this forum to Ansel Adams. Taking a day to explore x-country without our packs was the highlight for us. There was no snow to speak of on that trip, however.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

This was a great loop that we did through Evolution Valley in 2013: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=9921
I did it with my kids, and there was nothing particularly challenging in the cross country part in August when the snow had melted (though I imagine it would be very different if there is still snow on the steep traverse at the western end of Davis Lake).
We took 6 days/5 nights but the first and last days were just the 2 hours/4 miles from the ferry to Muir Trail Ranch, so it could certainly be done in 4 or 5 days. However, this year Florence Lake may be drained, unclear what that will mean for the ferry, but if you have to walk around the lake, you will need most of the day to get to MTR.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

SSSdave wrote:Evolution Valley is not as interesting as the high country above it. Historically it is praised in that region mainly because during early years most visitors arrived by horse and base camped down in forested areas versus timberline where horses could pasture and there was lots of wood for their usual bonfires. In this era locations above the valley like Darwin Bench, Evolution Lake, and McGee Lakes are favored destinations because they are simply more scenic while most visitors hike in and no longer build fires at all.
I'm going to push back on this a little, not so much because of the specific advice as because of the broader attitude, which is typical of elevation snobs. From my perspective, big broad meadowed valleys with peaks looming above are some of the most gorgeous places in the Sierra. McClure Meadow looking toward The Hermit, obviously; Grouse Meadows; Simpson Meadows; these, to me, are visually some of the finest the Sierra has to offer. (McClure and Grouse are more heavily populated than I prefer, but they are visually stunning.) I find them more visually satisfying than the desolate landscapes way above timberline; meadow + trees + exposed granite interests me more than just exposed granite, and the valley walls provide natural framing for photos. (Looking back, you could say I fell in love with the Sierra before I had ever been there, based on the photos of Grouse Meadow and Cloud Canyon in Sierra South.)

It never ceases to amaze me when I look through some JMT thru-hiker's photos and see a ton of stuff shot on the high passes and maybe--maybe--one throwaway shot at Grouse Meadow.

YMMV, of course, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong--just that there are other perspectives.