TR HST meetup 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR HST meetup 2016

Post by Gazelle »

Day 6 7 miles 3629up 3950 down Lake 10541 to meetup location
Worked around huge boulders on the south side of lake to below pass then up a rocky steep scree slope that was not as bad as I expected, along the ridge to Florence did go up the peaklet before just because it was there dropped the pack and up the last little bit to Florence where I could view most of my route for the rest of the day down the south slope to where I hoped I could drop into Hutchings basin this became quite exciting in spots but worked out.
1050.jpg
1051.jpg
1052.jpg
1053.jpg
Hutchings creek area is fantastic! Worked over to Sluggo pass
1054.jpg
1055.jpg
1056.jpg
think I picked a good way up, then went up peak 12113 which has a class ¾ summit block. Down Sluggo pass into the lyell fork and meetup spot, found a great camp spot by the meetup lake.
1057.jpg
1058.jpg
1059.jpg
cont...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Day 7 9 miles 4109 up 4109 down meetup spot to meetup spot
Day hiked up into lyell fork to lake 10949 up to Electra peak a little class 3 but fun.
1060.jpg
1061.jpg
Onto Rodgers peak past lake 11815 via south east ridge nothing to difficult. Went down the North face route class 2 loose glad I found it not much information on it. At the bottom I went straight North instead of following the chute yep mistake got a little hairy.
1062.jpg
Traversed around to above upper marie lake
1063.jpg
and over Rodger pass, found a pretty good way down but very loose and glad I did not have a backpack on!
1064.jpg
Down to Lake 11311 then worked down ledges grassy slope of the beautiful lyell fork back to camp. Had note on tent so at least knew someone was around then met up with Maverick etc, below camp.
1065.jpg
Everyone hung out for a while before everyone left me for the lower camp so yes had a beautiful lake all to myself again!

cont...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Day 8 8.1 miles 3915 up 4416 down meetup lake to upper twin lakes
Packed up and headed toward Ansel Adams and Foerster was going to go over Foerster pass but the pass east of forester peak looked better so got near the saddle left pack and workrd over to Mount Ansel Adams took the South face route up to the saddle then class 3 to the summit great peak really fun!
1070.jpg
1071.jpg
1072.jpg
Then back the way I came up to the saddle up Foerster,
1073.jpg
1074.jpg
1075.jpg
back to pack and down to Blue lakes
1076.jpg
1077.jpg
took a bad gully and had to back track some but ended up at the lakes instead of below them which although longer was much more scenic! Down bench canyon up to the beautiful lake
1078.jpg
before twin island lakes recommend people camp here gorgeous! Like a big dummy went over the ridge and down instead of around NOT the way to go!!! got to upper twin lakes and waded quite shallow then felt crappy so camped there.
1079.jpg
1080.jpg
1081.jpg
cont...
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Day 9 18.1 miles 4484 up 5274 down UTL to minaret summit
Went above twin lakes to see route up to Lake Catherine ended up going more north and not through the trees up and over some small ridges to Rockyroads waterfall, went all the way to the falls where I realized I was to go more to the left sooner as there are some nice cliffs one would have to climb,
1090.jpg
1091.jpg
1092.jpg
from there it was as easy going for boulders etc to lake Catherine, over North Glacier pass to TI Lake where I got on the Pacific crest trail, then I passed the turn off to agnew pass and didn’t want to go back so I just cross countried up to the ridge that contains San Joaquin mountain and two teats, along ridge to minaret summit where I was going to catch the bus but the lady said it may be awhile and it may be full, I guess an extra mile or so was not to bad but the people in the car behind me stopped and gave me a ride.
1093.jpg
1094.jpg
1095.jpg
1096.jpg
A fantastic peak bagging, almost all off trail trip, cant wait for next years meetup.... plan on a 11 day 30 plus peak adventure!

Thanks for reading Kristine
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

These are so beautiful and seem truly wild. Thank you for sharing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the wonderful TR and pictures Gazelle, well worth the wait. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks I really enjoy going to the meetups just another reason to go backpacking and so far we have met up at great spots!!!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Beautiful report and photos. That is a very nice route you did with a great combination of highlights.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Gazelle, Congratulations on yet another adventurous trip-- Climbing, climbing, climbing!

Thanks so much for posting this. Your photos really are helping us plan our upcoming summer trip into that area; for instance, your fine photo from the plateau south of Mt. Davis has us rearranging our third day hike to reach the same vantage point. We only wish that we could follow you into the amazing high basin of Hutchings Creek, but we'll have our dogs with us.
One question for either you or cgunderson, or ? ... what do you think about the relative difficulty between Rodger's, Marie, and Clinch Passes? I've been over Clinch (easy with kids), and alone over a scary variation of Rodgers Pass (difficult), but never Marie Pass, or the real Rodgers. You and Cameron both mention difficulty re. Rodgers:
Traversed around to above upper Marie Lake and over Rodger pass, found a pretty good way down but very loose and glad I did not have a backpack on!
Gazelle
.... Are you aiming to head back into the Lyell Fork area again and come out Rogers Pass or loop back around Iron Mountain? If it's Rogers, I've gone that way from Marie a couple times and it's a challenging route, possibly made more interesting if there's as much snow as I'd guess there will be.
cgunderson

What do you reckon? We're going with friends who joined us on the High Route passes "Bighorn" and "Shout of Relief" Passes with no trouble, but I wonder if these others have more objective danger? [Note- we'll have rope and rappeling gear]

Thanks again for sharing another of your great trips Gazelle, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Harlen,
What are you considering Marie pass? Rodgers pass is not that bad if you take your time and spread out, you could go over towards the more stable rocks it may easier if comfortable with that kind of terrain, steeper but more stable would probably be my choice if I could have seen it from below. Rodgers is definitely looser (harder) in my opinion than Bighorn or shout of relief but no where near as bad as Kaweah pass!
Davis was awesome in my opinion! Would not have minded staying at Marie lake. If Marie pass is between Davis Lakes and Marie lake no harder than class 2.
Hope that answers some questions I also may have other pictures of that area if you need.
Kristine