TR: 6 weeks in the Eastern Sierra - Aug-Sep

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
David and Karen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: 6 weeks in the Eastern Sierra - Aug-Sep

Post by David and Karen »

When life hands you lemons, go hiking I always say! :hink:

I was laid off a year ago, but still receiving severance payments so what better opportunity to head to the mountains and get me some alpine splendor! I spent my summer with the kids, but once they were headed back to school my husband gave me the green light to head to the California Sierra Mountains for 6 weeks based out of Mammoth, Bishop and Whitney Portal. The idea was to complete a series of solo backpacks and day hikes while taking civilization breaks in between. I'm not really into thru-hiking and many people asked me if I was doing the JMT since I was out so long. My personal opinion is that there's some great stuff on the PCT and JMT, but there is a heck of a lot of boring, dusty and busy trail as well. I prefer to cut it up into smaller chunks and visit the more challenging terrain to the off trail basins with better views and fewer people.

First up was a 5 day trip entering at Pine Creek, through Granite Park and into Bear Lakes Basin and back out the same way.

Next was an 8 day excursion entering North Lake, up Piute Pass and over into Evolution Basin and out Lamarck Col back to North Lake. The off trail basins were stunning country with some gorgeous lakes!

I did a 10 mile leg stretcher day hike into Little Lakes Valley before scoring a last minute cancellation Mt Whitney overnight climbing permit. Incidentally I had entered the lottery earlier in the year and was unsuccessful. I wondered how that was possible since it seemed like everybody and their brother had managed to get a permit, it was the most crowded trail I experienced all trip, by far. But 2016 saw a record number of people applying for permits (13,638 applications requesting space for 64,939). The road construction caused further headaches for me because I was heading in for 6 days to explore other nearby areas and ended up having to pay for a shuttle service since I wasn't allowed to park for that many days.

I enjoyed another day hike into Hungry Packer Lake before bad weather hit.

My last hike was a 4 day trip in via Cottonwood Lakes to Miter Basin. Cottonwood Lakes was jam packed for a brisk late September weekend with even the overflow parking filled up, but I left the crowds behind at the lakes and the parking lot was empty upon my return. The basin was one of my favourite destinations all trip, although I was plagued by high winds while I was there.

The Sierra Mountains never seem to disappoint! Yeah you swallow a lot of dust, suck wind for the first couple days due to the high elevation and that much sun is probably not doing your skin any favours...but every moment of the 233 miles I hiked was enjoyable! (except for maybe a few of the endless boulder fields I managed to find :lol: )

Quick stop at McArthur Burney Falls on the way home.

There are some additional photos and videos in the video I made for the trip.

[vimeo] https://vimeo.com/192367675 [/vimeo]
Karen's Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48937858@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenfolio site: http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 6 weeks in the Eastern Sierra - Aug-Sep

Post by Tom_H »

Very nice; thanks for sharing!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Nicely done. I only get one shot a year to hit the Sierra, and figuring out where the 1 trip will be is not easy. This adds some more ideas to the mix.
ts
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for sharing, 6 weeks divided up into several trips is the way I would do it too, if I could, of course, this would have to be done without getting laid off, which ain't gonna happen. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Hillbasher »

Having retired less than 2 months ago, I will have nothing but time to do all the hiking I can this summer. Your TR has given me new ideas, and it was well done on your part.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the photos and ideas.