TR: The Blackcap Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: The Blackcap Loop

Post by tlsharb »

January in New Hampshire. I'm sitting here dreaming of the Sierra, and thought is was time to do a TR from last summer. So last year, I headed west with my buddy Dan. After having done Red Mtn a couple times and Bench valley, we went south to Blackcap this time around.. Then over the hill to Martha Lake, and looped back around over Hell for Sure. Here is the story (trigger warning!! there is one pic of dead fish).

Day One: the plan was to make it to the Kings River from Courtright. Well, that was the plan. But we didn't get on the trail until 7pm, and by the time we hit Post Corral (9:30....12:30 eastern time) we were toast.
me and dan.jpg
Day Two: Post Corral to Portal Lake. This was one long, boring slog. Mile after mile of pretty much the same view. You don't really break out into the open until you are almost at the lake. But then, it is all worth it :).
post corral.jpg
Nothing like some mountain house eggs to start the day
heading south.jpg
Heading south to the Kings
portal above.jpg
Finally in the open
portal.jpg
Camp at Portal. Beautiful and all alone.
end of day 2.jpg
The close of day one.

Day 3: Exploring and fishing. The last time I was in Blackcap Basin was 1969. So it was time to re-aquaint myself with this gorgeous place. Dan headed straight up the inlet to the upper basin (Midway, Chapel, and Cathedral), I took the scenic route by going to Pearl and then following the use trail over. Most amazing thing to me is finding deer up around Cathedral....what the heck are they doing up there??
fishing for breakfast.jpg
Fishing for breakfast (I"ll give a fishing summary of the trip at the end)
cathedral.jpg
Cathedral Lake. I think I would camp here if I returned to this area. Beautiful.
pearl.jpg
We got back to camp around 3pm, and decided to move up the ridge to Pearl.

Day 4: Pearl to Martha. Today was my favorite hiking day. Cross country past Division, Bighorn, and Ambition Lakes.....then up the ridge to Valor Lake and Pass. Stunning views when you get to the top.
heading to Valor.jpg
This is by far my favorite kind of hiking...no trails, no people, and great views.
valor.jpg
The top of Valor Pass is well worth the effort. Mt. Goddard just dominate the area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Blackcap Loop pt. 2

Post by tlsharb »

Day 5: Martha Lake to Dale Lake via Hell For Sure Pass. I sure could have stayed another day at Martha Lake, but we didn't have the time. So down Goddard Canyon we went. I'm glad we met some folks who were coming up to Martha from Red Mtn Basin. They gave us some good info on how to find the trail junction for Hell for Sure. Amazed the Park service has never put a sign there. I think it gets a fair amount of use, but it be way easy to miss it heading north.
grouse.jpg
Saw a whole lotta these on our trip. Also saw a couple Hare...things were huge.
camp martha.jpg
This is where we camped
down Goddard canyon.jpg
Down the canyon we go. For a pretty dry year, the water was still flowing well. Can't wait to see what it looks like this summer
canyon 2.jpg
The views as you descend are kind of amazing.
hell for sure trail.jpg
The Hell for Sure trail. Not sure why, but this thing hammers you legs. There really isn't that much vertical, but it takes a toll on ya.
top of pass.jpg
Finally the top. Hell for Sure Lake and Mt. Hutton are there to greet you.
Dale lake.jpg
Dale Lake...where fires are allowed and fish for dinner is wonderful
dinner.jpg
Here is dinner
cooking fish.jpg
Brook trout on the fire.
the eyes.jpg
Does eating trout mess up your eyes?? Just wondering.

Day 6: Dale Lake to Trailhead. I hate the last day. You just want to get there.

Fishing summary:
Blackcap: I've often read here that Blackcap is a place full of 8" trout. Well those things have grown up. Three of the lakes I fished produced rainbows up to 14", and only Ambition and Midway fit the profile of whole bunches of small fish. Got skunked a Chapel.
Martha: This thing looks like it should have big fish in it, but I threw everything I had at them and got a couple 12"ers. I bet if you hit it on the right day, there has got be some lunker in here.
Red Mtn: alway seems to be good. Nothing huge, but plenty of mid sized brookies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: The Blackcap Loop

Post by tweederjohnson »

Loved the trip report and the pics! And I think it's the anticpation of eating trout that can cause the eyes to go a little wild :)

I too like the taste of Mountain House eggs in the morning, but they've been boycotted by my wife because of the effect they have on my digestive system... particularly when we're in the tent...with the rainfly on.
Last edited by tweederjohnson on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for posting. Especially enjoyed the photos.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the TR and pictures to a wonderful place, gotta love Cathedral Lake, so many pretty lakes in that area. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Nice report, looks like a fantastic trip!