Trip Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hillhikerz
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip Planning

Post by Hillhikerz »

Trip Planning for a JMT talk this next week and Red's Meadow Resort & Pack Station info (dot)com seems to be down. Is it me or them also from MTR on resupply I get "We WILL be open for the 2017 hiking season.
Regardless of the water levels in Florence Lake, we will figure out a way to get your bucket to the ranch. Please check back later for updated information on resupplying with us in summer 2017."
What might the levels have to do with the boats going across the lake; but then I have only been there once in Aug.

with all this snow looking at the Mammoth Lakes area posts it may be a very late start for the JMT
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Planning

Post by balzaccom »

If the water level is low in Florence Lake they can't run the water taxi. Same in Edison for VVR. So that means they have to pack your stuff in.

With the weather we've had in the last month in California, it wouldn't surprise me if all sorts of roads, wires, and communications are down, not just at MTR (which is closed for the winter) but at much lower elevations as well.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

The new primary concern for the year is roads -- the road to some of my favorite trailheads has washed out completely, the highway down the coast has a couple places where landslides have blocked it. Two lane highways all over California are getting washed out and/or buried.

At the moment I suspect that roads like the one to Florence will open later this year than in previous years -- summer can start in June, the road opens when snow melts. That can be early August.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

It looks like Red's Meadow Resort's domain name subscription expired.
Hillhikerz
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip Planning - Reds Meadow & MTR

Post by Hillhikerz »

looking around a bit at Reds Meadow facebook they are aware the domain is down... As to MTR I found this and cut out a bit from the body of the pdf... this may change some peoples plans; but now I know what MTR was talking about...

"PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Southern California Edison (SCE) has applied for water quality certification to install geomembrane liners over all 58 arches of the Florence Lake Dam, and to preform infrastructure repairs at the low level outlets, Ward Tunnel Intake “grizzly” (trash rack), intake gate seats, and the minimum pool weir. SCE will complete the work in three phases between 2016 and 2020. The first two phases include installation of the liner on 24 of the 58 arches as well as the infrastructure repairs listed above. This work will require drawdown of the reservoir below required minimum pool levels to allow access to the concrete base of the dam. The third phase includes installation of the liner on the remaining 34 arches, which will be accomplished without drawdown of the reservoir below minimum pool."