Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

Post by maverick »

This is all good info, but bear in mind that we haven't had a "normal" year in quite some time,
Yes, though these photos were taken during normal snow years, so they could be used as a gauge, but keeping in mind that there are a lot of variables.
The only really accurate info will come about ten days before your trip....when we have a clear idea of how much snow is in the area, and whether or not any storms are expected...
Yes, that is the only way to know for sure, especially checking in on this site to see if any TR's have been posted that can help in assessing backcountry conditions, May is notorious for having a snowstorm or two blow thru.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Hey Mav, I am curious about those May trip photos...Was that a trip done on skis? :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mountainpegasus »

balzaccom wrote:This is all good info, but bear in mind that we haven't had a "normal" year in quite some time, The only really accurate info will come about ten days before your trip....when we have a clear idea of how much snow is in the area, and whether or not any storms are expected...
It is great info from all and Much appreciated! I agree. This is the only time we can go backpacking as two of us Dads are expecting babies in the summer. I want to have a plan A, B, and C. We have only gone to the Sierra for the last 5 years we don't know anything else. Our last trip was a 40+ mile 5 day trip to Humphries Basin and surrounding area and was incredible! It sounds like we could do something in the Sierra but it won't be ideal and we'll have to make sure to be properly equipped to deal with snow, which we're not. We might have to opt for The Lost Coast or maybe the desert somewhere. Not ruling out the mountains yet but it might have to be a last minute decision like you're saying...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Mav, I am curious about those May trip photos...Was that a trip done on skis? :drinkers:
Nope, the usual trail runners and gaiters. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by balance »

Greetings mountainpegasus

gary c. is right. The Golden Trout/Domeland Wilderness is "real" Sierra Nevada, and being at lower elevation it will be more accessible in May.

Another option is to just full on prepare for winter conditions. Maybe somewhere out of Wolverton, where there's a blaze marked trail. Or Badger Pass, where you essentially hike along the road. Both offer fairly easy navigation. Lot's of options if you're fully geared up and prepared for snow. Whatever else you do, make sure to have the right footwear. Great boots make for a safer, much more enjoyable trip. Take breadbags, or something similar. If you don't know what I mean, find out.

The key to actually enjoy winter hiking is to cut the mileage waaaay down. But then, I'm just a plodding along snowshoer. If you get decked out with Alpine backcountry skis, then you can make even better mileage than summer hiking.

On second thought, don't worry about all that "be cautious" and "be prepared" stuff. Just watch "Jeremiah Johnson" and "The Revenant", and you'll be ready for anything the mountains can throw at you. :^o

Peace
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did not catch where you are coming from. If the LA area, then another idea would be desert SW - Zion, for example.
Early May vs late May can be entirely different. Which end of May are you thinking about?

I have done the Lost Coast twice in May and it was great. Do pick a time of low tides. Henry Coe is a good early season get-in-shape work out but I do not think that is your goal.

A standard May trip form me is a backpack from Yosemite Valley. North Rim Traverse (with snowshoes (I did use them in April) or not if snow is pretty consolidated). Up Snow Creek, side trip to Mt Watkins for a view into Tenaya Canyon, up Snow Creek, down to the top of North Dome (good to have snow here for water source), cross over to Yosemite Valley, side-trip to top of El Cap, down Yosemite Falls.

I have also done Pohono Trail early before Glacier Point Road opens. If it is not open, then camping restrictions are less of a problem. Not sure it was 100% legal but I camped on top of two of the viewpoints. You can than take Panorama Trail to LYV, up to Merced Lake, back via JMT, with Clouds Rest climb.

Another of my favorite (and this is REALLY adventuresome) is the White Mountains from the east side. It is really wild over there - remote, no trails, and nobody at all. And unbelievably steep! You can basically traverse the Whites once you get on top. In fact, you have to have snow so there is water. May is the perfect time.

As long as I can find a patch of dry ground to camp on, I do not see spring snow as a big problem. The problem is swollen streams to cross. That is why I like Yosemite - lots of big bridges. Most often I do not need snowshoes. In a big snow year like 2011, I walked on snow up until mid July! I would not give up on the mountains just because of snow.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings mountainpegasus

Why not learn to enjoy another side of the Sierra Nevada? Hiking or skiing from Badger Pass to Glacier Point is a great introduction to the mountains in early spring. While you'll never be far from the security of people ski touring, even fifty feet off the road can feel like being a million miles away from civilization. If you do get some snow, you'll experience the quiet and peace after a snowfall.

Read up on winter camping. You already have most of the gear you need. Keep the mileage low. Be sure to have appropriate footwear. You can check REI to rent whatever else you need, and go to the Badger Pass website for more information. http://www.travelyosemite.com/winter/yo ... oard-area/

I might prefer this trip a little earlier (or mid-winter, for that matter). But with the snow this year you should be good. This could be a conservative, safe, but also fun way to take your first backpacking trip on snow.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A small disagreement with you, Balance, although I am with you on going out to the mountains. But maybe I misunderstood you. If so, I apologize.

May, or late spring, is different from winter camping and backpacking. I have done real winter backpacking (3 weeks, hardly ever above 0 degrees F, down to -40 with many feet of soft snow, requiring snowshoe or skis). High snow year backpacking in the Sierra in May is NOT winter conditions. Not that knowing how to backpack in winter conditions is not a good skill set to have anyway.

It is just that spring conditions are different than real winter. Temperatures are similar to a low snow year and really unrelated to the amount of snow on the ground. The big issues are; walking on snow (or not, such as post-holing), and safety on steeper slopes, high water, finding a dry campsite, sunburn and eye protection, trailhead access, dealing with wet feet and navigation because trails are covered. If you can deal with these, you can go out. And as others said, you do have to back off the high mileage days. If Tioga Road is open this opens up a lot more opportunities (not likely this year). Just think spring skiing - like you see those guys in shorts skiing.

You have to adjust your travel plans. Walk in the morning when snow is solid. Plan a trip where there are bridges or no big water crossings. Be very careful with steep snow- I simply avoid this even though I have the skills and equipment; I simply do not want to carry all that weight. As for the occasional spring snowstorm, keep an eye on the weather reports. If you stay at lower elevations, you will not likely get snow.

I have backpacked in regions where if you did not accept the fact of early season snow and learn to deal with it, you would not get out until August! In fact some trips are best done with snow - Mt Shasta or any of the other big volcanic mountains, and much desert ranges which become dry immediately when the snow melts.

I guess what I am saying is do not be afraid of late spring snow.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings Wandering Daisy

As usual, what you say is correct. And your experience in the mountains and fishing and photographic skills are awesome. The knowledge that you (and others as well) generously share with people on this forum helps people be better prepared and further their travels, and love for the outdoors.

Mountainpegasus said while the first week of May is locked in, he wanted to experience the Sierra Nevada high-country. Bit of a conundrum there, what with the snow and all. So I considered how he and his friends can have a high country trip that's adventurous yet safe for that time of year. Do you stay low and avoid the snow, or risk the harrowing conditions that some others properly described?

Leaving out of Badger Pass and heading towards Glacier Point would be a reasonable way to experience high-country snow travel for five days. At the same time, being not far from the well travelled pathway of the road lends an element of safety if things get sketchy. Also, the possibility of navigation errors would not be critical. There's not much elevation change, and a minimum of avalanche danger to contend with. Yet they could still experience the cold and vagaries of snow travel to some extent. If they make it to Dewey Point or Glacier Point, unless it's a white-out blizzard, they'll enjoy some great views. And if they like the mountains in winter, like you and I do, maybe they would take off the training wheels next year and go for an epic Trans-Sierra trip, or something.

As we know, this would be a snow camping trip, but not a "winter" trip. Given the time of year, developing snow conditions (Hooray!), their age and current experience, I think a five day trip out of Badger Pass could be adventurous yet relatively safe, a great learning experience, and they would have a...uhm...real cool time. :)

Peace
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Balzaccom has it right. Can't tell this far out what the spring will be like. On average, the first week of May is the prime time for backcountry ski tours. I do that sort of thing and that is when I plan my trips. Now of course we don't know what the conditions will be, but if you assume an average year then I'd expect solid coverage above about 7500 to 8000 feet on the west side - a little higher at the south end. If you are equipped for it, have experience traveling over and camping on snow, and have the navigation skills, it can be a fun time to be out. You do have to be extremely careful about stream crossings, as the water is usually high and fast and very dangerous. And you need to plan to be up and moving at the crack of dawn to take advantage of the firm snowpack - by the afternoon you need snowshoes or skis or it's brutal. If you are not equipped and not experienced, stay below the snow or go elsewhere.