Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

Post by mountainpegasus »

I am contemplating doing a 5 day sierra backpacking trip in the first week of May and looking for suggestions/advice as I have never done a trip that early in the season. I am aware of the potential hazards and conditions one may encounter in the spring. Any recommendations on where to go in the Sierras for an epic and successful spring trip? This winter will most likely provide a significant amount of snow pack and runoff compared to last year which could cause impassable trails etc so I guess we wouldn't want to go too high. This is the only time everyone in our small group is available to go and we don't want to be anywhere other than the incredible sierras! Lakes, rivers, streams, meadows, granite, these are our requirements. We are in our 30's, strong, adventurous, smart enough, leave no trace backpackers. We have done x-country, map and compass hiking through some more remote parts of the sierras.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

Post by maverick »

Hi MP,
This winter will most likely provide a significant amount of snow pack and runoff compared to last year which could cause impassable trails etc so I guess we wouldn't want to go too high.
So, to clarify, you do not mind sleeping on snow if need be?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Snow levels early May after average winters is about 5500 feet. This winter is already above average. Any backpacking at such low elevations is single day out and back thus not 5 days and probably boring down in forest. And there are often snow storms. Much better would be Henry Coe State Park or something down in the deserts.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I would suggest checking into the Golden Trout or Domeland wilderness. The nice thing is that you can plan for someplace else early on and switck to these southern areas at anytime because of thier available unlimited walk-up permits.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice

maverick wrote:Hi MP,
This winter will most likely provide a significant amount of snow pack and runoff compared to last year which could cause impassable trails etc so I guess we wouldn't want to go too high.
Yes we do expect that possibility
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice

gary c. wrote:I would suggest checking into the Golden Trout or Domeland wilderness. The nice thing is that you can plan for someplace else early on and switck to these southern areas at anytime because of thier available unlimited walk-up permits.
Thank you for the suggestion Gary, I will check into that.
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice

SSSdave wrote:Snow levels early May after average winters is about 5500 feet. This winter is already above average. Any backpacking at such low elevations is single day out and back thus not 5 days and probably boring down in forest. And there are often snow storms. Much better would be Henry Coe State Park or something down in the deserts.
So far what i'm hearing is spring backpacking in the sierras this year may be out of the question. Maybe last year we could have got away with it but this year with how it's looking so far we might have to change plans! Thank you for your response and suggestions.
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice

maverick wrote:Hi MP,
What do you think Maverick? Any suggestions of places in the lower elevations of the sierras I could look into? If we stay around/under 6,000' it should be doable?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Went up the Merced River to Merced Lake, then to Emeric Lake where I crossed the ridge gaining access into the Echo and Cathedral drainage, then Matthes Crest area (Matthes Lake & Echo Lake), which is quite beautiful during the winter, then off to Sunrise HSC area and on to the JMT/Clouds Rest junction from where I climbed Clouds Rest the next morning for some sunrise shots (crampons/ice axe needed), then LYV and down to YV.
If you are willing to plow thru the snow, have snow camping experience, which will be needed in some section, and can navigate proficiently, then this makes for a fun spring trip.
This is what the meadow at Sunrise HSC (9400 ft) looked like in May several years ago during an average snow year on this trip, there were some dry spots, mostly on rocks in some areas, but most areas had only snow camping sections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

There are many places. The only question that matters is whether you and your group have the experience and equipment for snow packing. You will need microspikes and ice axes for sure. You need some training in traversing and self arrest. You probably need crampons and may also need snow shoes, belay ropes (with gloves and hardware), possibly backcountry nordic skis. You need winter tents and clothing for where you want to go, and possibly insulated boots. You need to know how to build snow caves and quinzee huts in case there is a big late season storm. Do you have experience at post-holing? I have hiked in the Sierra in mid-June with the snowpack still over 6' deep. Often there are submerged boulders and shrubs. The boulders' internal heat can melt pockets and the shrubs have air pockets in them. You can get into places where every step you take causes the snow to collapse and you can crash all the way through to the depth of your head. It is easy to sprain ankles or break a leg. Even without that happening, it is exceptionally physically demanding and mentally difficult for those not prepared for the demands of tremendous physical exertion. You have to know what you are doing. It is easy to get wet and then become hypothermic at this season in these conditions. Does your group have training in mountaineering first aid? If you are willing to forego some of your requirements and go to lower altitude then you can do with less experience and gear.

In order to help you, we really need to know your experience level with packing in deep heavy snowpack at high altitude as well as how much of the correct gear you have or have access to. May will be more forgiving than February, but it is still far more demanding than later in the summer for the kind of places you are inquiring about.

In addition to Henry Coe, consider Point Reyes National Seashore and the CA Lost Coast.

Just FYI, Sierra is already plural. It does not take an 's' on the end. That may seem nitpicking to the general public, but to those with experience, it tells a lot.
Last edited by Tom_H on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.