Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Spring Sierra Backpacking Suggestions?!

Post by Hobbes »

As has been oft remarked, the other spring challenge besides snow are water hazards. It's interesting how people react to (high) water crossings - everyone is different.

Andy & I met these two NOBO PCT hikers last year about a mile above the S Kings ford. We had come over Mather earlier that day, and had just finished taking a post-lunch break below snow line. As is typical (also true for everyone I've met @ the HST meet-ups), we were both pretty jazzed and happy to be out hiking: chatty & talkative. However, they seemed a bit subdued - I figured they were probably just tired or maybe had a fight. We gave them some input about Mather (suggested camping below and tackling it the next morning), but didn't get any information of note in return.

Shortly afterward we came across the S fork ford, and discovered a raging torrent. We had to hike downstream a little bit to where the river split into 3 ribbons. Each ribbon in its own right would count as a major water obstacle. As such, we poked around until we spotted a route that wasn't completely cascading rapids. As we were crossing, we saw another NOBO couple crossing upstream - the girl had gotten to a point where the water was over her hips and moving at a very rapid rush. I thought for sure she would get swept, but she made it at the very end.

Anyway, the original couple we had met were blogging about their PCT hike. It wasn't until I read this entry that I realized why they had been so subdued:

https://andyandlaurie.com/2016/06/10/da ... n-anymore/

Addendum

Now, not to be overly critical, but this image shows exactly how NOT to cross water hazards. Can you spot the error(s)? As a PSA for anyone contemplating a hike during high water season, when you need to cross a significant ford, always, Always, ALWAYS (a) unbuckle your hip belt; (b) unhook your sternum strap; and (c) loosen your pack straps. In other words, be ready to jettison your pack if you slip and fall in fast water. Nothing will cause you to drown faster than a heavy, water soaked backpack tightly attached to your person.

mountainpegasus
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mountainpegasus »

Sorry for the late response... Thank you all for the great info! We still don't know where we're going. The Hetch Hetchy loop to Lake Vernon is our top option at the moment. Another option is the desolation wilderness to the area around Aloha Lake, its under 6 miles and "accessible year round"... Was thinking we might need to rent snow shoes are at least crampons but they don't allow campfires in Desolation which is almost a deal breaker.
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice

balance wrote:Greetings

During the late 40's and 50's the Howdy Doody show had a character called Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring. She was one person whose name was comprised of all four seasons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOgXiFAfGI

Nevertheless, I'm sure we can all agree that, meteorologically speaking, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring are separate seasons, with distinct weather conditions all their own.

Peace

Thanks?
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

mountainpegasus wrote:I am contemplating doing a 5 day sierra backpacking trip in the first week of May and looking for suggestions/advice as I have never done a trip that early in the season.
This year the first week in May is looking likely to still be prime time for ski touring in the High Sierra.

Hetch Hetchy will probably still have a lot of snow in early May. In the last big snow year (2011) I day hiked the low elevation loop of Yosemite Falls to Snow Creek. That loop reaches a peak elevation just a few hundred feet higher than the Lake Vernon loop in Hetch Hetchy (which, by the way, had a lot of snow on Memorial Day in 2011). The trail disappeared somewhere beyond Indian Rock. There was so much snow after that I could barely believe it. Oh yeah, that was in mid-June.

My advice is to learn to backcountry ski, even if it's at a very rudimentary level where you are mostly just walking with "long skinny snow shoes". Go backpacking in the High Sierra that way.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

where are you coming from, and how long are willing to drive to a trailhead? Plenty of potential north of Tahoe.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

mountainpegasus wrote:Another option is the desolation wilderness to the area around Aloha Lake, its under 6 miles and "accessible year round"... Was thinking we might need to rent snow shoes are at least crampons but they don't allow campfires in Desolation which is almost a deal breaker.
I was there in mid-July 2011 and there was still 6' of snow almost everywhere. We found a rocky escarpment about 0.6 miles SE of the lake where snow had melted and were able to camp there. We had 40 mph winds that came across the still frozen lake at night and it was a truly penetrating cold in our sleeping bags We hunkered behind a rock ledge, but the winds still swirled and made us uncomfortable.There is more snow this year and you are going much earlier. My guess is that you will hit snow almost from the beginning, and the climb away from Echo is steep. The snow in Haypress Meadows will likely be 14' deep at least. IF any spots near rocks and manzanita have warmed enough, postholing could be tiring and frustrating. You will not be able to follow the trail, and even the PCT tree blazes are difficult to follow. You need to have a good understanding of map, compass, and topographical navigation. In typical summer there are no streams to cross, but you will have a couple of seasonal runoffs that may be fairly torrential. You would likely get your boots and socks wet and that is not any fun in the conditions you will encounter.

Even if fires were legal, you wouldn't be able to gather any deadfall. If you could find some, it would be so wet that you would have an almost impossible time igniting it. When I was in Boy Scouts, I thought a fire was an integral part of camping. When I became a professional guide, I knew how to build fires in many conditions, but came to believe they really were not necessary. They take a lot of time; I hate the smoke; cleanup from cooking is so much more difficult; cooking takes almost 3x as long. A candle lantern became just as effective for the ambiance of sitting and talking. It's all in your frame of mind.

This year is simply different. Backpackers will have the choice of going low, going late, or going in snow. Most will chose to use that as an advantage to do something different than what they typically do.

Post Script.I would recommend Spooner Lake to Marlette Lake using snowshoes or nordic backcountry skis. This is on the east side of Tahoe. It is not as difficult and not as steep. It will be beautiful and serene. There should be no stream crossings, though the trail follows a stream from which you can get water without melting snow. Here is a map. The CalTopo software was doing strange things today. The trail is actually to the east of the stream. http://caltopo.com/m/00K0
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Tom_H suggested Spooner Lake to Marlette Lake as an option for early season snowshoe backpacking. This is in Nevada Lake Tahoe State Park. Just be aware that they only allow backcountry camping at two designated campgrounds: North Canyon (about 2-3 miles from Spooner Lake) and Marlette Peak (about 7 miles?). Be sure to check with the park first. They may have the outhouses at the campgrounds closed up and may even prohibit camping if there is too much snow still.
-Phil
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks Phil.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

When I read about trip plans for April or May into the mid and high country I feel for the people because they can't find the time from work or whatever to visit in August or July. Many times life is just not as kind to people as I'd like to see it be to visit my favorite July'-August place in the world, the Sierra.
mountainpegasus
Topix Novice

Awesome input. Thank you for taking the time to respond! Your trip to Aloha Lake sounds like it was somewhat miserable haha. We decided on buckeye meadow to redwood meadow along the middle fork trail in Sequoia National Forest. I agree about the fires I have done many high sierra trips w/o a camp fire. I'll check out your suggestion as well.