Suggestions for 4-6 day trip...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Suggestions for 4-6 day trip...

Post by Tonydavid »

Thank you Maverick, Markskor, Balzaccom, Tom H, Kpeter and Robow8 for your replies! I really appreciate these suggestions and the advice. I am going to research them starting today. I thought I was subscribed to my own post but I guess I wasn't. I wondered why I had not received any replies. I just checked and found your messages. THANK YOU! Will be following up with you all!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

So I have a permit for GP>Illilouette for July 3. I'm a little concerned about the Illilouette crossing after the trail meets up with the Mono Meadow trail. I know it's still too early to know how it will be, but here is my question; If it is going to be a challenge, (and I don't know how my wife would handle that) would it be okay to take the Panorama Trail down and cross using the bridge, continue up to the junction, and then head up the Illiouette drainage?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

FYI, I pulled a permit for fourth of July weekend - ranger hand wrote a note to let me know that the road to the trailhead may not be open due to snow and they would give me a free reschedule on the permit. This is for an area about the same elevation as Glacier Point Road - all bets are off on whether any of us gets out there so early.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I will add that a loop in Yosemite that mirrors the High Sierra Camps is also quite nice. Leaving from Tuolomne Meadows and making loop around and back. I did last year. It will cross a highway at one point and you will have more folks at times on trail, but the scenery remains amazing, plus depending on your 14 year old's stamina, etc it might be a nice alternative to being 2-3 days away from an exit. Either way, it is still unreal country.

Old college buddy and I did last year: 5 days and ~50-52 miles. But there are ways to shorten, etc. Most days b/w camps are typically 6-10 miles. We averaged 10/day based on our route, but could have made it easier had we wanted to. Some camping nearby the High Sierra Camps and some nights just in the backcountry. Great trip.