Instructions for JMT Rolling Lottery Application

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Instructions for JMT Rolling Lottery Application

Post by markskor »

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... axform.pdf

A new application process for the JMT Donahue exit bottleneck .
Mountainman who swims with trout
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Instructions for JMT Rolling Lottery Application

Post by gary c. »

Wow, that just sucks.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

How does this differ from prior years?
I am interested in a Tuolomne Meadows -> Red Meadows trip some point this summer.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

sambieni wrote:How does this differ from prior years?
I am interested in a Tuolomne Meadows -> Red Meadows trip some point this summer.
If you have a flexible schedule, you can submit one application for a range of dates, whereas before you would submit a new application every day.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Certainly makes it easier. I'm also guessing that they got a new fax machine as my application went in on the first try. It used to be that you would need to fax it in several times every day, utilizing off hours, hoping the machine would pick up and your fax would go through. Now I'm set up for 21 possible days without needing to fax it in each day. Now if they could leave the fax age and enter the online application age. Maybe by 2030.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

The best way to go would probably be from the other direction. I believe that you can still enter from the south without falling under the YNP Donahue Pass quota.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

gary c. wrote:
The best way to go would probably be from the other direction. I believe that you can still enter from the south without falling under the YNP Donahue Pass quota.
Agreed, but I already missed the window for the dates I need. Fell asleep at the wheel over New Years... Permit season starts early!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

If you don't want to deal with getting a permit out of Yosemite consider a northbound JMT trip. I have done 2 northbound JMT trips starting a Horseshoe Meadows going joining the PCT at Cottonwood pass and doing Whitney as a day hike from Crabtree Meadows and continuing JMT northbound finishing at Happy Isles. I have also done one complete southbound JMT and prefer the northbound versions.

I have hiked up out of Yosemite Valley and done Half Dome several times. Yosemite valley has become too crowded and can be much to hot in August.
Jeff
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

On the one hand, doing the JMT the way it's "supposed to be done" surely appeals.

But I'm far more likely to get a permit from some other trailhead and route it such that I don't have to fight with quota and lottery and bureaucracy...
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Having done the Muir more than a few times - thoughts:

RE: "Doing it the way it is supposed to be done - appeals"...sort of agree but - Once you hit the trail, you will get over that notion real quick. IMHO, just doing the 211 miles in one trip is the all-important stat. Only then can you truthfully say you did the JMT.
- Over the years, this famous trail has been re-routed countless times...who really knows (or cares) what is the exact trail is anyways as long as you hit both Whitney and Happy Isles.
- Hiking out of the Valley sucks...but, so does hiking up out of the Portal. How then? Suggest daring to go anyway - no reserved permit in hand - Karma - starting in Tuolumne. If you're a single, trust the "Next Day" process...might have to wait a day and camp at the permit office the night before, or worse case, go over Parker.
- Straight trail shot then south to the Portal...a bus ride (or an easy hitch with TM sign) - back up 395 to Tuolumne, and finally, hike down to Happy Isles.
Mountainman who swims with trout