Chagoopa Plateau

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
snowpatch
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Chagoopa Plateau

Post by snowpatch »

Maverick, Did you suceed in your trip along the Chagoopa plateau starting in the south and heading north to red spur basin? Or does anyone have info on this area. I am really interested in this route.
I plan to go into Kaweah Basin this summer via picket creek access. Then looking at the topo maps, I am wondering if it is possible to traverse into Red Spur Basin, then head south on the Chagoopa plateau at around the 11,000 ft level all the way to Chagoopa creek. It would sure save a lot of elevation loss and gain compaired to going all the way down to the Kern River. Plus it looks like it would be an amazing trip.
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

I was just in Kaweah Basin/Picket Creek last year, and have other plans for this year. But if you were doing this trip next year I'd probably be interested. I have been wanting to visit the Red Spur lakes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Snowpatch,

Unfortunately something came up at the time and has delayed this trip up to this
point, but it is still on the radar as part of a 8-10 day trip in the future.

PS I see you have not been welcomed aboard yet, so welcome to HST Snowpatch!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
snowpatch
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowpatch »

Maverick, What's the rock like on Red Spur? Do you know if it is loose or fairly stable? I can see the crux of this route will be getting by the Red Spur. Either a long sidehill traverse, or do you think it would be best to just go up over the top of the ridge somewhere? I have not been in the Kaweah / Red Spur area, so don't know what the rock is like. Would you expect it to be as loose as Kaweah Pass? I hope not. There is very little information that I can locate on Red Spur. Do you advise that I create a new topic asking for information on Red Spur Peak?

By the way, 5 years ago you gave me and my friend Donna some very helpful advice regarding our 50 day variation of the Sierra high route (we extended it south to Mt Whitney). I think it was even you who was going to try to meet us at Lake South America. That turned out to be one of our favourite areas, exploring the lake basin to the west of Lake South America. We had a super day there and did not see another soul.

That was my first time hiking the sierra. SInce then I have hiked WInd River, Sawtooths, Canadian Rockies, Cascades and French Alps. Now I think it's time for a return to the sierra to see an area that I missed on my last journey there.