Weather question - Kings Canyon snow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Weather question - Kings Canyon snow

Post by chulavista »

I occasionally check the weather radar during the Sierra snow storms, and I've noticed that a lot of times there seems to be less (or no) snow on radar between the Bubbs and Woods Creek trails when areas north and south around it are snowing. Has anyone else noticed that or have an idea why?

Of course today it probably won't happen, since I pointed it out. To keep this hiking related, I highly recommend Grant Grove and Roads End during/after a May snow storm. Plenty of solitude on frontcountry trails. :)
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Weather question - Kings Canyon snow

Post by balzaccom »

I don't know the answer to your question, but that issue of "microclimates" is nothing new in my part of the world. (Napa.) This summer we were up in Cloud Canyon and got hammered by a storm--enough so that we chose to come back down to Roaring River rather than heading over Coppermine Pass, which was enshrouded in clouds and rolling thunder. By the time we got to the ranger station, we were in sun and all was well.

The ranger chuckled at our story and pointed out that there's a reason it's called Cloud Canyon...it always seems to catch the worse of the weather.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

balzaccom

I never noticed a difference between the two canyons. Got hammered by thunder and hail in both, as well as the Ferguson's, Box and Crowley. More than a few times all the way down to the Ranger Station as well, not to mention while riding out of Sugarloaf to the west.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

Hi chulavista,
If you mean something like this...
radar.jpg
That's a problem with insufficient radar coverage.
-mort
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

Ahhhh...yeah that makes sense. Good to know there isn't a force field over cedar grove. Thanks for the explanation.