permit/trailhead question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
boognish
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: permit/trailhead question

Post by boognish »

maverick wrote:Welcome to HST!
Please read the following link, answer the questions, so then we can give suggestions based on your abilites. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Level of Experience. At one time I would say a 4, but since I have moved to Louisiana and don't go as much I would say 3.
Terrain. Class 2 and comfortable with river crossings. I have never really dealt with snow or glacier crossings.
Interest. Lakes, Forest, Mountain Scenery, maybe Fishing.
I want to do 3 days 2 nights, but if trail includes cloud rest will do 4 days 3 nights.
Elevation. I lived the first half of my life in the Smokey Mountains and have hike extensively around there including around Mount Le Conte and have never had a problem. I have lived the last almost ten years near New Orleans and have been hiking and camping mainly around MS and LA so I am not sure how that has changed.
Interested area. Yosemite mainly the meadows.
Never been to the Sierra Nevada area before.
No dog. Well I have a dog. He is a 100lb mutt. I have taken him hiking and camping a few times. He is horrible at it and not made for it at all.
Here is our Christmas card. So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to y'all.
boognish
Topix Novice

Post by boognish »

So start Cathedral Trailhead and hike near sunrise camp and camp. Next day head west by sunrise lakes. Turn south towards Cloud Rest. Camp before Cloud Rest. Hike Cloud Rest towards river and camp. Hike to Happy Isles and exit.

That would be four days and three nights.

Is that a doable and enjoyable route in that time frame? If so for first nights camp location in wilderness would you just say near sunrise camp?

Can you park near Happy Isles and catch the bus to Cathedral or would it be best to park Cathedral and catch bus back to there ?

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Would reccomend you park in YV and take the shuttle to Sunrise, stay at one of the Sunrise Lakes for the first night. Get an early start the next day, go do Clouds Rest, and stay at the Sunrise/Clouds Rest junction for the night, good camping. Climb HD the next morning (permit), spend the night at the junction again (or at LYL, but that place can be a zoo, and there are a lot of evening bears raids) and then head down to YV the next morning. You can spend one night at the backpackers campground in YV at the conclusion of your trip, thereby avoiding the need to spend money on lodging.

Yes, there is longterm parking available.

Make sure you get water at the spring coming down Sunrise Mountain, before the trail junction at 8900 ft, or at one of the two tarns north of the trail at 8700, before heading up to Clouds Rest.
Be prepared for mosquitoes!
Check for TR's, here on HST and the Yosemite Forum, so you know what conditions are like before your trip.

PS If you are driving in via Hwy 120 from the west, you can pick up you wilderness permit at the Big Oak Flat wilderness office, on the right, right after you pass through the entrance station.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Better trip -
Cathedral TH - camp Upper Cathedral, back end. (1)
Next day hike to last (lowest) Sunrise Lake, camp behind big rock , south end. (2)
Do Clouds Rest and, on the way down, bag HD too. Camp LYV. (3)
Down the mist...4 days - 3 nights

BTW, it's always the best plan to hike directly back to your car. Leave car Curry Orchard and, before trip, take bus YARTS or Hiker bus to Cathedral TH.

If you start Sunrise TH...then 3 days and 2 nights
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

boognish wrote: Elevation. I lived the first half of my life in the Smokey Mountains and have hike extensively around there including around Mount Le Conte and have never had a problem. I have lived the last almost ten years near New Orleans and have been hiking and camping mainly around MS and LA so I am not sure how that has changed.
I think you're in great hands on the potential route. My only concern is that Mount Le Conte is only 6,594′, and you're now hiking almost at sea level. Your planned trip starts at 8,000' and you've never been to the Sierra before. If it were me (also a flat-lander for the most part) I would plan a day to acclimate before you hike your route. You might be fine or you might not. Either way, that first day is going to kick your butt, or more likely your lungs and heart.

It is a good route though.
boognish
Topix Novice

Post by boognish »

I faxed my request in today. First choice was Cathedral TH and second was Sunrise TH. Hopefully I will be hiking in 6 months. Thanks for the help. I will probably be back with some more questions as I work out the details of my trip.
boognish
Topix Novice

Post by boognish »

So I got my permits! That was faster than I expected.