Summer Trip Planning - N/S Lake Loop near Bishop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Summer Trip Planning - N/S Lake Loop near Bishop

Post by sambieni »

With slow work days pre-Christmas/New Years, thinking ahead to next summer plans for a 4-6 day trip. Last summer did 3 day solo from Devil Postpile -> Ediza -> 1000 Islands -> Agnew Meadows and Yosemite's High Sierra camp loop for 5 days with a buddy of mine, but staying in tents (not the established camps).

Interested in 8-12/13 mile days. Class 1, maybe 2 terrain. I am a solid Level 2 experience-wise. Lakes, forests, wide views, amazing meadows, and some passes all seem eager to do. Prefer Loop/lollipop loop as opposed to out-n-back/peak bagging. Trip likely July 4th week or later.

This summer trip likely with 1-2 other folks, 1 of whom is far more experienced than I and will be eager for some side scrambles/cross-country while I stick to trails for evening campsite meet-ups.

Question - is the North/South Lake Loop out of Bishop a good progression after last year's trips? (Rae Lakes and Deadman Canyon loops seem likely out partner has done them before. ) Any other trips folks may suggest?

Thanks.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Summer Trip Planning - N/S Lake Loop near Bishop

Post by kpeter »

Yes, it would be a nice progression. 8 days would give you time to add some layovers or sidetrips, of which there are many possibilities--a couple of days longer than my version.

Here is my report from a few years ago, which may be shaping up to be a similar snow year.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758&hilit=complete#p46912

As you can see, I did a full circle which added a day, by including Tyee Lakes and a smidgeon of road walking to get from Sabrina to North Lake. There are many other North Lake-South Lake threads on the site.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Thanks! wow that is way more snow than I would have expected so late into the season. Great trip report. Thanks!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Ska-T »

sambieni wrote:Any other trips folks may suggest?
A 4-6 day lollipop trip in that general area comes to mind. This trip involves relatively easy off trail hiking that you would do or mostly do with your more experienced friend to lead the way. In addition, it allows him/her to explore if they choose to do so.

Start at the Pine Creek trailhead. You get there from downtown Bishop by driving north on hwy 395 for 10 mi and then west (passing through the mining town of Rovana) on Pine Creek Road for about 10 miles. Park next to the Pine Creek Pack Station.

Hike up the Pine Creek Pass Trail passing Pine Lake and Upper Pine Lake. Beyond Upper Pine Lake there is a Y in the trail. The left branch goes to Pine Creek Pass. Take the right branch to Honeymoon Lake. About 3/4 mi beyond Honeymoon Lake you come to an area northeast of the trail that is less steep than the surrounding terrain. There are two tarns a little more than 100 yds to the northeast of the trail and 150 yds beyond those tarns is a creek coming down from Chalfant Lakes. Leave the trail, hike past the two tarns, over to the creek and follow it up the Chalfant Lakes basin (which according to the map may be considered "north Granite Park"). From the tarn west of the largest of the Chalfant Lakes hike SSW over the ridge toward the Italy Pass trail ("south Granite Park").

Explore south Granite Park to your heart's desire. In addition, your experienced friend could spend half a day or more exploring "Bear Lakes Basin". He could go over Granite Bear Pass (difficulty varies with the time of year) and walk down the easy slopes to Black Bear Lake. After exploring Bear Lakes Basin he could loop back to Granite Park via Dancing Bear Pass and Italy Pass. For these cross-country pass locations see the HST map.

From the southeast end of Granite Park walk over the ridge to the largest of the Royce Lakes via the class 1 Royce Pass. From there hike down the basin to Lake 11656 and then east down the gentle slopes to meet the Pine Creek Pass trail just south of Pine Creek Pass. Turn south on the trail and walk down to French Canyon where the trail branches. Take the left branch toward Elba Lake. Explore as many lakes as you want to in that area and work your way over to French Lake at the north. From French Lake walk west and meet the Pine Creek Pass trail just south of Pine Creek Pass. From there hike back to the car.

While in the general area of Elba Lake your friend could explore Humphreys Basin via Carol Col (or one of the other two cross-country passes in that area).

Lot's of room for improvisation on a trip like this.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

You could also do a JMT Italy Pass mostly-loop (about 6 mi repeated) out of Pine Creek. One version would be to head over Pine Creek Pass, down French and Piute Canyons to the JMT. Then up the JMT to Sally Keyes and over Seldon Pass. At Hilgard Creek, head east over Italy Pass, through Granite Park and back to the Pine Creek trailhead. I recall the trail distance as around 60 mi. total. The Lake Italy/Italy Pass climb is mostly an unmaintained track with a little class 2 scrambling, but otherwise the trip is trail hiking. There are options for the more ambitious to climb Seven Gables, Mt. Hilgard, Gabbot Pass, Mt. Julius Caesar, etc. You could also do this trip in reverse too, though the altitude sensitive may not like climbing ~12,400 Italy Pass on the 2nd day.

You could also do a northern loop from the same TH with Italy Pass, JMT north, up Mono Creek, Morgan Pass, etc. You have to come back to the TH down the old mining road, a few miles of downhill crushed talus, but it's still a worthy trip though I found the southern loop more scenic overall. History/mining buffs may enjoy the old Pine Creek Tungsten Mine relics.
tie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tie »

Neat idea for the JMT Italy Pass loop out of Pine Creek. Here it is in SierraMapper, supposed to be 49 miles with 11,250' ascent.

http://awhite4777.pythonanywhere.com/Si ... /m099/m105