3-nite Trip in Desolation Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

3-nite Trip in Desolation Wilderness

Post by jgaffney »

I'm planning my 2017 trips now, because what else do you do in the winter? I have days blocked out in September, and I'd like to go back to the Desolation Wilderness. I was last there in 2013, and did 2 nights out of Wright's Lake to Lake Schmidell, with a great day hike to Lake Zitella. I'd like to hike out of Echo Lakes this time, riding the ferry to cut out 2.5 miles around the north side of the lake.

My first pass was a trip to Clyde Lake, Halfmoon Lake, Heather Lake, and out. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I can do 10-12 miles per day, and I'm OK with medium crosscountry, as long as it's not thick brush or scree. I'm driving up from the Bay Area, so the first day should be 6-7 miles.

Does the Echo Lake ferry still run the week after Labor Day?

Thanks for the help.

Edited to take Wright's Lake out of the title.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Re: 3-nite Trip in Desolation Wilderness

Post by zacjust32 »

Don't know if you saw this, but there's another discussion going on here: 3 Days in Desolation
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Yea, see that thread. The only difference will be that rather than dealing with snow, you could be dealing with drought conditions: possibility of fires and you may need to plan on getting water mainly from the lakes, as most of the streams (the smaller ones for sure) will have dried up. Mosquitos will be gone by then, so that's a plus. The days will be shorter with mornings and evenings cooler. See the map link I put in the other thread.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted

Post by jgaffney »

I know that, hiking in September, most of the streams will be dry. That's why I always camp near lakes. I'll check the other thread for ideas.

Thx.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted

Post by jgaffney »

Latest Update:

I just read the current issue of PCTA Magazine, and it's got me interested in volunteering for some trail work. There's not much on the schedule now, but, if something good comes up for September in the Central sierras, I'll do that.
larree0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by larree0 »

jgaffney wrote:I'm planning my 2017 trips now, because what else do you do in the winter? I have days blocked out in September, and I'd like to go back to the Desolation Wilderness. I was last there in 2013, and did 2 nights out of Wright's Lake to Lake Schmidell, with a great day hike to Lake Zitella. I'd like to hike out of Echo Lakes this time, riding the ferry to cut out 2.5 miles around the north side of the lake.

My first pass was a trip to Clyde Lake, Halfmoon Lake, Heather Lake, and out. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I can do 10-12 miles per day, and I'm OK with medium crosscountry, as long as it's not thick brush or scree. I'm driving up from the Bay Area, so the first day should be 6-7 miles.

Does the Echo Lake ferry still run the week after Labor Day?

Thanks for the help.

Edited to take Wright's Lake out of the title.
We went in on Labor day in 2016: the last day the ferry still runs ... if lake level high enuf; should be no problem this year. If you head S out of Aloha down channel lakes, there's a bit of a steep drop to Desolation Lk, a ranger suggested going thru Lake of Woods. (We are not climbers) As others have suggested in previous years, Waca is beautiful, several sites N and W sides of lake. If you head N instead, Stoney Ridge is very pretty, limited sites except at S end. (Some make a loop by exiting to Emerald Bay and getting a ride back to Echo.) If you try for Rubicon area, be sure to read Wandering Daisy's post on her epic trip into that valley.