Ideas for 3 Day / 2 Night Kings Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fairbanks142
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Ideas for 3 Day / 2 Night Kings Canyon

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Hey all,

We're an experienced group ("Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel").....planning a first time trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon in late August or early September.

Looking for recommendations on a good 3-day, 2-night trip that would give us big mountain scenery and camping on or near lakes with good fishing.

We're good with significant elevation, distance and difficulty....ideally the 2nd day would be less distance and more time to fish and explore. Two nights in the same spot on a lake with good fishing and surroundings to explore would be great, or different spots on the 2 nights if it's a better trip.

Would much prefer a less-traveled route -- seeing a few others en route but not masses. Looking for some campsite solitude. Prefer out and back or loop vs. point to point.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Ideas for 3 Day / 2 Night Kings Canyon

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Does that mean three FULL days and 2 nights or do the first and last day have to include driving to the trailhead? Where are you driving from? And what is a "long" day and what is your tolerance for elevation gain (are you up to 6000 feet on day 1?)

And by Kings Canyon, are you set on going in from Kings Canyon (west side), or would you consider going in from the east into Kings Canyon?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

What is good fishing to you? Quantity, or lunker trout?

Do you have a preference of east side (highway 395) or west side start?

With only three days, Mineral King is likely the ticket. Or Pear Lake, if you are not on a lunker hunt. Granite Pass into the lake basins might also be a good option, or Sphinx Lakes, both starting from Roads End.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST!

Go to Pioneer Basin, good fishing, and outstanding scenery, it can be reached in a day, no matter where you are driving from in CA, especially since their will be a group of you and then driving can be divided amongst you. You can also stop by and fish Golden Lake on the way in or on the out from the Mosquito Flats Trailhead. Just make sure that everyone in your group is okay with altitude, some folks cannot handle going over a 12000ft pass after driving from sea level in the same day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick, What has Pioneer Basin have to do withSEKI? Fairbanks, I could tell you but then ...
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Fairbanks142
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Fairbanks142 »

Thanks for the responses! We'll have 3 full days in the backcountry. Leaning towards the west side -- the day before we start, we'll want to see the big trees along Generals Hwy and then stay that night somewhere within an hour of the trailhead.

Our distance and elevation should probably max around 10 miles and 4K per day based on our experience. We've done more in a day, but less would be better, especially on Day 2.

For fishing, we'd want somewhere that's likely to catch 8-10" trout, not lunkers. The route and scenery are the priority, as long as we can get some fishing in along the way as well.

I've done a lot of reading off and on for some time now. I had focused in on Mineral King / Big Five Lakes, but that might be better for 4 days for the kind of trip we're looking to do. So I had landed on Copper Creek / Granite, with the first night at Lower Tent Meadow. Not ideal since it doesn't get us to a lake on the first day, but we'd get there early the second day. Researching that route is how I found this forum, and I figured I'd post to see if there were other recommendations as well.

Thanks again!
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Guys, how about East Lake and Lake Reflection? I've not been there, but it seems it would work.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You might consider Hamilton lake as an out and back. There are golden hybrids in the lake about that size. It's a very well-traveled area however, and the deer are known to steal your clothing if you leave them out to dry. Hiking from crescent meadow you are walking through groves of sequoias at the start of the trip. Depending on presence or absence of snow and your level of fitness, energy, gung-ho attitude, Precipice Lake is above and Kaweah Gap at the top....

**corrected for ridiculous autocorrect goofs.
Last edited by AlmostThere on Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maverick, What has Pioneer Basin have to do with SEKI?
Whoops, my bad, but still a great area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Further, it might be good to note that rainbows are catch and release in SEKI below 9000 feet, so if you intend to keep and eat, aiming for non-indigenous fish bearing waters might be good.