Route Recommendation Lamarck Lakes or PP to Huntington Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Route Recommendation Lamarck Lakes or PP to Huntington L

Post by jorrflv »

paul... is this a close approximation as to what you described.

https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/tra ... c95e617b1/
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

that's fairly close; though it takes a different route from Disappointment lake to Thompson Pass, and some variation between Summit Lake and Rock Meadow, and then heads to the ski area instead of to Rancheria falls road. That last variation is one that might be tricky - navigating in that forest is not the simplest off-trail, since it's hard to see many landmarks. Going over by Bear butte to the rancheria falls road is not too bad, I've done it in both directions in the snow.
I also think you'd be missing something by not going Reddy's Hole/Red Rock Basin instead of this route which stays down in the canyons more. The cross-country up there is very easy and the terrain is nice.
Be aware that in that whole area from disappointment lake/Red mountain Basin to Thompson pass, what seem to be trails on one map are not shown on others, and may or may not be identifiable on the ground. Having been there only on the snow I can't vouch for any of the trails, but I can vouch for the navigating being pretty easy without trails if you pay attention. Also, well worth going up to the ridge that encircles red rock/Reddy's hole by way of Mt. Shinn & Zingheim heights to look at the views - it's spectacular anywhere along the ridge and there are various places where it's easy to get up there.
Makes me wish I was taking this route this summer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The qualifications (Class 1) for the son does not sound like someone who should be going over Lamark Col. Or some of the other suggestions. Sounds to me like they are primarily trail hikers. Unless I read this wrong.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The qualifications (Class 1) for the son does not sound like someone who should be going over Lamark Col. Or some of the other suggestions. Sounds to me like they are primarily trail hikers. Unless I read this wrong.
That's why I was suggesting Hell for Sure Pass over to Courtright, instead of some of the other fun options.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted

Post by jorrflv »

His most notable trips: My son has done the baker Johnson lake loop in Great Basin NP... the scramble down into Johnson lake he handeled ok. He has done JMT Agnew meadows to Toulumne Meadow. Took that with ease. He has done Zion narrows top down camp half way. He has done Bryce Canyon rainbow point to sunrise point. He has done sequoia Mineral King Lake loop over black rock pass. he is currently 9 started backpacking with me when he was 6. This one we are planning would be the longest trip he has done. I am a bit concerned about this off trail for him with a pack. Have done many off trails with just day pack.

Here we are at Donahue pass... https://about.me/jorrflv. My youngest is in the white.

Hope this helps
Last edited by jorrflv on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted

Post by jorrflv »

Did I mention that I am a teacher and don't work most of June and July... Try to hit 2 cool trips a summer.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Sorry, I misunderstood the situation; I though this trip was you, on your own, going to meet your son who would be at camp. My route would be pretty challenging for a 9 or 10 year old. The lad would have to be very highly motivated and strong for his age to do it.
In the light of that I'd change my thoughts; Piute Pass, down to the the San Joaquin, Hell for sure pass, and then I think the rest of my idea is fine as long as Dad is a good navigator and the boy is motivated, since none of the terrain is challenging. You can shorten it up by going down stream on the SJ to the Florence lake inlet and catching a trail there that goes up the Summit Lake. That's quite a bit shorter but not so nice. You'll have to judge what your son will be up for and enjoy. My experience with boys that age is that it's all about motivation. Physically they are capable of a lot of walking if you keep their pack really light (like just sleeping bag and some clothes, you carry all the rest). But they have to be self-motivated or it's not fun for anybody.
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted

Post by jorrflv »

I will clarify for you all again(sorry my fault).. my 12 year old is at scout camp. I will take my younger son (9 now will be 10 when we do the trip) on the treck across the sierras

But his resume is listed above.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I would second the idea to go over Piute Pass rather than Lamarck Col. Lamarck Col is a big climb to do at the beginning of a week long backpack, with heavy pack and perhaps not acclimated to elevation, especially with a 9 year old. Also, depending on the snowpack and the time you go (July versus August), the snowbank just below Lamarck Col could be very difficult for your son.

I would plan an all-trail trip as some others have suggested, over Piute Pass, down to the JMT, south up the JMT to Goddard Canyon, up that to the Hell-for-Sure Pass (trail is not that bad and the views are closer to heaven :-), then down to Courtright Reservoir, then around it (looks like trails run around the north end, although I haven't done that side) to Cliff Lake and through the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness to Coyote Lake, then pick up the jeep trails to Chinese Peak and down through the ski area to Huntington Lake. If you were making good time, you could take a side trip in the middle continuing on the JMT beyond Goddard Canyon to camp at Evolution Meadow and then walk up to McClure Meadow without packs for the outstanding scenery.
-Phil
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted

Post by jorrflv »

I want to thank you all for such great advice. I will be picking this conversation back up on Sunday. My oldest son and I just arrived in Death Valley for a short treck this weekend. I will definitely map out your suggestions and keep researching.

Jon