Route Recommendation Lamarck Lakes or PP to Huntington Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Route Recommendation Lamarck Lakes or PP to Huntington L

Post by wildhiker »

I would second the idea to go over Piute Pass rather than Lamarck Col. Lamarck Col is a big climb to do at the beginning of a week long backpack, with heavy pack and perhaps not acclimated to elevation, especially with a 9 year old. Also, depending on the snowpack and the time you go (July versus August), the snowbank just below Lamarck Col could be very difficult for your son.

I would plan an all-trail trip as some others have suggested, over Piute Pass, down to the JMT, south up the JMT to Goddard Canyon, up that to the Hell-for-Sure Pass (trail is not that bad and the views are closer to heaven :-), then down to Courtright Reservoir, then around it (looks like trails run around the north end, although I haven't done that side) to Cliff Lake and through the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness to Coyote Lake, then pick up the jeep trails to Chinese Peak and down through the ski area to Huntington Lake. If you were making good time, you could take a side trip in the middle continuing on the JMT beyond Goddard Canyon to camp at Evolution Meadow and then walk up to McClure Meadow without packs for the outstanding scenery.
-Phil
jorrflv
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jorrflv »

I want to thank you all for such great advice. I will be picking this conversation back up on Sunday. My oldest son and I just arrived in Death Valley for a short treck this weekend. I will definitely map out your suggestions and keep researching.

Jon
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

It would be real easy to avoid road walking at Courtright entirely by making a right turn at the big wooden John Muir wilderness sign, a few miles before getting to the Maxson trailhead, on an unsigned trail -- it takes you to a cabin and outhouse (Chamberlain Camp) that's being "upgraded" by some of the locals, and beyond it that trail will be an easy walk of a mile to an OHV camp on the shores of Courtright. Bearing right through the campsites instead of going down to the lake, you get to a trail that's also on the map, one that parallels the lake shore, and either walking on the trail or just following the lake shore around eventually you get to the formal trail that takes you to Cliff Lake.

https://caltopo.com/l/PBNP

The trail junction in question is southeast of Maxson Dome at the creek crossing. The 1.2 mile tan dotted line connects it to the Dusy Ershim (the black dotted line) at about where the OHV camp is, and as you can see, the trail system to the right takes you around to Dinkey Wilderness from there.