Thousand Island Lake Loop - 3rd Night?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Thousand Island Lake Loop - 3rd Night?

Post by oldranger »

re: 1000 Island lake, Not many people if you camp a 1/2 mile sw of Muir/Pct take off n. from the lake. or the far sw end of the lake.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Agree with Mike...
North end of both Garnet and 1000 Isl closed to camping due to years of overuse. Thus, as a popular destination, overnighters tend to bunch up at convenient places nearby...bears too.
As mentioned above, backside of both lakes sees far fewer campers, has great fishing possibilities, and no bears.
Whatever trail you take up, (suggest River/JMT to Altha/ Laura, or...) after topping out at the Garnet outflow, take the use trail south-east side to backside Garnet...camp. From there (trail starts SW corner Garnet, behind the big rock at inflow) an easy saddle over to backside 1000 Isl. See TOPO.
Just a thought too...instead of circling back to Agnew, (there are 2 other trails back), why not continue on, go over Donahue - Lyell - TM... use 6:00 PM YARTS back to Mammoth? 3 nights works for this trip - same permit?
To add, avoid Waugh as a bit of a bog, looks good from trail, but...lots of better alternatives.
Mountainman who swims with trout
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

That's interesting Mark. When I was out there this summer for 2 nights the Rangers said nothing to me about closed camping areas when I picked up my permit. There must have been literally 20 different parties camped around Garnet while I was there but with the lake being so big it didn't seem too bad, maybe because I was all the way by the inlet near Garnet Pass (is that what it's called, heading from garnet to TI) A beautiful area for sure but definitely over used.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

When I was out there this summer for 2 nights the Rangers said nothing to me about closed camping areas when I picked up my permit.
Inyo NF:
- No campfires at Thousand Island, Garnet, Ruby, Emerald, Badger or Clark Lakes. No campfires above 10,000 ft. Campfire Restriction Maps

- No Camping within 1/4 mile of the outflow of Garnet or Thousand Island Lake.

- Bear containers are required for storage of food and trash.

- River Trail does not access the John Muir Trail until Garnet Lake or Thousand Island Lake. Shadow Creek or the High Trail - PCT are a different permit.

- Spur trail from River trail to Garnet Lake is not recommended for stock.

- Groups cannot be larger than 15 people (includes day use).

- Quota of 30 people permitted to start overnight trips each day from May 1 to November 1.

- Ansel Adams Wilderness regulations apply.

- Yosemite wilderness regulations apply if entering the National Park.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 4&actid=51
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org