Thousand Island Lake Loop - 3rd Night?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jahneee
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Thousand Island Lake Loop - 3rd Night?

Post by jahneee »

Hey All,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. Thanks for all the great advice in the past!

I'm just starting to think a 3 night trip next August/September. I think the Thousand Island Loop looks ideal, but most of the itineraries and reviews I've read make it sound like a 2 night trip. Any suggestions for adding a third night? I've considered doing Tuolumne Meadows to Thousand Island Lake, but it makes the logistics a little tougher for this weekend warrior :)

I'm open to other 3 night suggestions in the Eastern Sierras as well.

Thanks!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Thousand Island Lake Loop - 3rd Night?

Post by oldranger »

Do you fish?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
jahneee
Topix Novice

Post by jahneee »

most likely won't be fishing on this trip
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Jahneee,

Welcome to HST!
Agnew Meadows>River Trail>1000 Is Lake> Lake Ediza>Shadow Lake>Agnew Meadows

PS High Trail would be more scenic out of Agnew instead of the River Trail, but you will have to do more climbing. As an alternative, you could go to Lake Ediza first (visit Iceberg Lake), then head over to 1000 Is Lake area via the JMT and used the High Trail to descend back to Agnew.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jahneee
Topix Novice

Post by jahneee »

Thanks maverick! I thought I read that no camping was allowed at Shadow Lake, but I'll double check. Maybe I'll just spend an extra night at Thousand Island or Ediza Lake and do some day explorations from there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You are correct, no camping, was referring to the trail that goes past Shadow to Agnew.
- Spend a night at 1000 Is Lake, one at Garnet, and one at Ediza.
- Spend a night at 1000 Is Lake, 2 nights at Ediza, and go visit Iceberg Lake and Nydiver Lakes.
- Spend 1 night at 1000 Is Lake, do over Garnet Pass (class 1) to the western end of Garnet Lake and spend night 2, and night 3 at Ediza.

Plenty of things to do and all of these are pretty mellow.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jahneee
Topix Novice

Post by jahneee »

You're the man! Thanks for the suggestions.
bbayley80
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bbayley80 »

Jahneee,
Maverick pretty much covered it but i'll chuck in my two cents having done this loop as a three nighter in the past.

DAY ONE:
i went up Shadow Creek from Agnew and spent night one at Ediza-which is stupendous.
DAY TWO:
dayhiked to both Iceberg and Cecile in the AM . packed up and headed to 1000 isl for night 2.
DAY THREE:
dayhiked up to North Glacier Pass-a fun talus field/boulder hop to Lake Catherine and summited Mt Davis(easy ascent. pretty much a walk up-i got visually physched out by Ritter/Banner :eek: ) and back to 1000 Isl for night three.
DAY FOUR:
out via the High Trail to Agnew. great views across to Shadow/Ritter/Banner etc..

this is an awesome loop with so many easy going options-Nydiver Lakes/Whitebark Pass to get to Garnet/100 Isl. as opposed to JMT for example..any way you slice it you'll be stoked!

have fun!
Last edited by bbayley80 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Some of the options that Bbayley80 mention may be outside your comfort level as a Level 2 backpacker, Iceberg>Cecile>Minaret Lake route (Class 2-3), Whitebark Pass (Class 2), and Catherine Pass (Class 2), did not specifically mention these alternatives because of this.

balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We did it this way:

Rush Creek to Waugh Lake on day one. Day two to Altha Lake (near Garnet, but much quieter), Day three to Ediza. Day four to Clark Lakes. Day five out.

Lots of options....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963