North Lake South Lake - which way?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

North Lake South Lake - which way?

Post by Matthewkphx »

Hi. I'm thinking of trying the North Lake South Lake Loop next summer. Any thoughts on which direction to hike it? I've hiked the JMT SOBO in 2015 and particularly enjoyed the descent from Muir Pass into LaConte so I'm inclined to go the same direction again but I wonder if I should go the other way to mix things up.

Any thoughts?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: North Lake South Lake - which way?

Post by kpeter »

I did it counterclockwise, but for one particular reason. I made it a full circle, and went from South Lake up to Tyee Lakes and from there down to Sabrina campground and I walked the road to North Lake. I wanted to get the road walking out of the way at the beginning of the trip, and I wanted to park at South Lake, hence counterclockwise.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758&hilit=complete#p46912

But yes, as I consider it I think it is the best direction for several reasons. I liked coming down Piute canyon--while interesting, it is the least spectacular part of the trip and coming down helped to speed up that portion. Going up into Evolution Valley was beautiful, next to the cascades and looking back at other falls across the valley. That is cheerful distraction on the uphill. Coming uphill into Dusy Basin also has gorgeous views the whole way, making that climb more pleasant.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Re: North Lake South Lake - which way?

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks for the response.

All good reasons and I like your thought about making it into a full loop and getting the road done at the beginning.