Down Second Recess From Hilgard Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Down Second Recess From Hilgard Pass

Post by maverick »

If I'm successful, I'll make a trip report, and perhaps we can add more description to Hilgard Pass.
Sorry, but I don't give out in-depth descriptions of crosscountry routes, my belief is that it takes away from the adventure spirit involved in doing such routes, some people may like or need every inch of a crosscountry route described, I don't and won't, but will give you a quick description, class rating, and will attempt to talk you out of doing it, if it is something beyond your experience level. If you indicate that you are a Level 4, then you should be able to use your navigational/backpacking skills to figure out the safe/correct route, what fun is there knowing every little detail ahead of time, and how can you expect to become proficient in crosscountry travel if you always need a crutch of information prior to every trip. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Just taking a quick look at satellite view, if dry that pass looks like one I would try to avoid using, unless there is a specific reason why I would want to go that way.
rpastel
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by rpastel »

Hi Maverick,

I understand your position and agree with your sense of adventure. I was concerned about pass because what I saw on maps and the lack of trail reports on the web. I wondered if anyone has done the pass. Your previous reply assured me that the pass has been done and that I can find the route for myself.

Thank you for preserving the sense of adventure.