Yosemite Flyover

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite Flyover

Post by maverick »

Some friends on the way to Utah sent me some shots while flying over Yosemite. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Yosemite Flyover

Post by rlown »

we need some storms... badly..
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Climate change means just that which might (for where one lives) mean hotter and dryer, maybe lots hotter and dryer. It seems to me that we in CA got the hotter and LOTS dryer.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I was listening to a report on KCBS radio when coming back from the Sacramento valley near the Sutter Buttes after the warmest duck hunt of my life in November. They basically said that If the snow turns to rain instead as a source of water, we are woefully behind in having the proper water storage facilities in place (read dams) to deal with the shift. With the 5 year drought, and the reservoirs and lake beds mostly dry, that would have been the time to take out some of the silt to maximize useful water retention.

Talked to my dog Bubba about it, and he agrees with me, but reminded me he's 15 and won't care soon.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Speaking of change I went to Kings Canyon this summer and saw the massive amount of dead trees which was exacerbated by the drought. I read in the LA times today that there are over 100 million dead treas in CA. Wow.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yeah, Eric posted that (66 mil) somewhere in the sierra settings area towards the bottom of the main page.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14578
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?TES

From the Tioga Entry station.. Snow Depth. Ouch!!