TR: Saddlebag Lake (July 16-17 2016)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pakoR
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Saddlebag Lake (July 16-17 2016)

Post by pakoR »

Hello all. It's been a while since I've posted any TRs.

This was an overnight trip to Saddlebag Lake in July. I day-hiked around here in October of 2015, and I had wanted to go back and see the area with snow and wildflowers. I personally think this area provides the best scenery (alpine lakes, meadows, wildflowers, Sierra peaks, permanent snow fields) that the Sierra can offer for the least amount of effort. Two of the people in the group are just getting into backpacking. They both were impressed by the landscape.

This is a popular area with day-hikers and backpackers because of its proximity to the trailhead. However, one can still find a secluded spot to enjoy, especially the further north one decides to hike in. On this particular weekend, it wasn't very crowded. I should mention that even though a 4 mile walk from the car will provide you with grand views, one should exercise caution because the TH sits at ~10,100'. Should one decide to drive in from sea level on the same morning, one may have issues with the altitude.

A wilderness permit is required for overnight trips, but these are convenient to obtain. Reservations are not required, and this is a non-quota trail. We picked up our permit at the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center.

Enjoy the photos.

Saddlebag Lake, view from the dam

Saddlebag Lake, and peaks to the north

Greenstone Lake & North Peak

North Peak

Conness Lakes

"Gatorade Lake" (one of the Conness Lakes, the colour of the water is incredible)

Sunrise at Mill Lake(?) (between Cascade & Steelhead)

Steelhead Lake

Wasco Lake

View north from inlet of Saddlebag Lake
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Saddlebag Lake (July 16-17 2016)

Post by oleander »

Gorgeous photos!

We (five women) were there the same weekend. In fact, if you were camped between Cascade and Steelhead Lakes, you were one of our neighbors. If you heard someone shouting in the middle of the night against the wind, that was my friend who got lost after a midnight bathroom stop and couldn't find our tents for a long while.

We did not make it up to Conness Lakes. That goes on the list for next time. Looks like a must-see.

- Elizabeth