TR: Shangri-La of the Sierra

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Shangri-La of the Sierra

Post by cslaght »

Excellent report! I've had the Picket Creek drainage on the short list for awhile, and your trip really illustrates that. Going from MK to Cedar Grove gives a really interesting route, excellent stuff! I might have to borrow that for the future, though I think a slight alternative over Kaweah Pass into Kaweah Basin may be in order. Thank you again!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
zwoij
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by zwoij »

cslaght wrote:Excellent report! I've had the Picket Creek drainage on the short list for awhile, and your trip really illustrates that. Going from MK to Cedar Grove gives a really interesting route, excellent stuff! I might have to borrow that for the future, though I think a slight alternative over Kaweah Pass into Kaweah Basin may be in order. Thank you again!
I agree on taking a different route in. I see no reason to ever take that pass into the Picket Creek drainage. Some say Kaweah Pass is frighteningly sketchy. Pyra Queen Col is another route in. I'm not sure why we didn't take one of those.

People here also say Red Spur, also in the area, is another hidden gem. Visiting Kaweah, Picket, and Red Spur would be stringing together rare gems. I am determined to take my kids there sometime, probably en route to Whitney via the High Sierra Trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I might have to borrow that for the future, though I think a slight alternative over Kaweah Pass into Kaweah Basin may be in order.
PQC is the least difficult from the west, Pants is second, and Kaweah Pass being the most difficult, especially descending the northern side, if you want to do it, ascend it from Kaweah Basin instead. Entering the basin from the east, Kern-Kaweah River/Rockslide Lake area, is the easiest route of all.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I agree with Maverick on the Kern-Kaweah River ascent to Picket Creek Lake. I wrote a short essay in appreciation of Picket Creek and Kaweah Basins with a few photos that includes a description of the ascent from the Kern Kaweah. If you're interested, they're here:

http://laurencebrauer.com/PicketCreek-KaweahBasins.html

There are also descriptions of the ascent in several trip reports posted here on HST.

zwoij, I really enjoyed reading your trip report and the photos. Thanks for sharing.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Great report! I remember staying a couple days in Kaweah Basin and enjoying the beauty but lamenting the absence of fish. Then I passed by that lake on my way back to the HST and realized I should have camped there. Just an epic spot with lots of food-sized fishies.

Thanks for sharing.
Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 1.25.17 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Next time you go, spend more time and at least take a long hike up into Keweah Basin. With the effort of getting there, I would not do less than 3-4 days. I have gone into Keweah Basin via Pyra Queen Col, Picket Guard Pass and ascending from the Kern Keweah. Picket Guard Pass looks worse than it is. I too caught a few fish in that lake. But the highlight of my trip (when I just missed everyone on the meet-up by one day) was an intense day-hike to the upper Keweah Basin. On one trip years ago I camped in the upper basin and it is really amazing.

Look at our trip reports for the meet-up, I think it was 2015. I recall there is some route information in these reports.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Thank you guys for the beta on the area. I always imagined the easiest way was from Colby Pass but didn't realize how difficult the north side of Kaweah Pass really is. This truly is an enchanting area
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
zwoij
Topix Acquainted

Post by zwoij »

Thanks limpingcrab for the much better photo of the lake. And LMBSVG for the essay.

I definitely plan to spend more time there the next time I go. Part of the challenge is how long it takes to get there. So my kids need to be able to carry a full bear canister.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

That was really cool that you visited 3 great places on one efficient trip. I went to all three but on three different trips.