TR: Kennedy Lake, October 21-23 2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Kennedy Lake, October 21-23 2016

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,

I visited Kennedy Lake earlier this month with a group of friends, including HST member @pelican. It was a special time in the shoulder season; the high peaks were draped in snow, and the valley floors were green from recent rain. Our group was a mix of novice and expert backpackers. Personally, it's refreshing to see the whole backpacking experience from the perspective of beginners -- it reminds me how far I've come with my backpacking skills, and it also challenges me to be more patient, to slow down from my normal pace, and to take more time to enjoy the trip. Our group arrived at Kennedy Lake in good spirits, and we setup camp in one of the established sites about 1/4 mile west of the lake outlet. The temperatures were rapidly dropping, and we built a campfire. I don't normally build campfires, but I think it was justified given the low temperatures, and it certainly made for a memorable evening of warmth and laughs.

Kennedy Lake is a popular destination, so I'll spare you the logistical details. Rather, enjoy my photos from the shoulder season. . .
DSC07592.jpg
DSC07597.jpg
DSC07601.jpg
DSC07631.jpg
DSC07640.jpg
DSC07632.jpg
DSC07644.jpg
DSC07671.jpg
DSC07698.jpg
DSC07701.jpg
DSC07714.jpg
DSC07761.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Kennedy Lake, October 21-23 2016

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report--makes me a little sad that I have been traveling so much that I haven't had a chance to get up there this month, sigh.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Kennedy Lake, October 21-23 2016

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray