TR: Echo Lakes to Barker Pass (TRT/PCT)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Devin
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Echo Lakes to Barker Pass (TRT/PCT)

Post by Devin »

Hey everyone, this is my first post here but as a beginner backpacker I've found a lot of these trip reports to be helpful so I figured I'd make one!

The TRT site lists this segment as 32.7 miles, the three of us had a great 2 night/3 day trip going South from Echo Lakes Northward to Barker Pass Road. We were driving from the Bay Area so to make this trip as stress free as possible we booked car camping for one night before our backpacking trip at DL Bliss State Park, and one night after at Sugar Pine Point State Park. We hiked in early July 2016, and had perfect weather. There were some patches of snow on the trail at the top of Dick's Pass and on the North side of the pass, but nothing that made it difficult to hike through. If anything it added some nice variation & additional excitement for us San Diego natives.

We started Day 1 by driving our car to the trailhead at Barker Pass Road. We only had one car so we hired a shuttle (http://www.wannaridetahoe.com/) to take us from to the trailhead at Echo Lakes. We were on the trail by around 9:30AM, and started the lovely 10 miles or so to Gilmore Lake.
IMG_4272.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4281.JPG
We took our time getting up in the morning, despite knowing that this would be our lengthiest day, and involved hiking up Dick's Pass. We were trying to decide between camping near Phipp's Creek or push onward to Richardson Lake. We ended up hiking ~15-16 miles to Richardson Lake, which I would totally recommend. This let us camp next to a water source, as from what I had read online you shouldn't count on Phipp's Creek being there throughout the summer, and can expect a ~9 mile dry area from Middle Velma Lake to Richardson Lake. By the time you get to Richardson Lake you've left Desolation Wilderness, so most of the excitement was behind us. However, this meant we got to have a fire (requires permit) at Richardson Lake! There were many campsites to choose from, and many of them had some kind of fire ring constructed from stones. This was a really great unexpected treat. I've heard people say that Richardson Lake can get kind of busy with people with cars & RVs but that night it was only hikers staying there.
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4280.JPG
Day 3 was short and easy so we were in no rush to get going. I think we had about 7 miles to our car at Barker Pass Road, and we hiked it pretty quickly. We got to share some time with some PCT hikers at the Barker Pass trailhead and give away our leftover food. We car camped that night at Sugar Pine Point SP & got to enjoy the beer we had brought from Temescal Brewing. I'd highly recommend this segment for any level of backpacker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Echo Lakes to Barker Pass (TRT/PCT)

Post by maverick »

Hi Devin,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for taking the time, to post you first TR and pictures. Also, thanks for the shuttle link. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gplhiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Echo Lakes to Barker Pass (TRT/PCT)

Post by gplhiker »

Hi Devin-
Thanks for posting your trip report. I did the entire Tahoe Room Trail last year in day hikes, and broke this section into 2 treks. First one was Echo Summit to Emerald Bay, which was my favorite of the whole TRT. That view from Dick's Pass is so amazing friends and I went back to do Dick's Peak this summer. The area from Velmas top Richardson Lake was pretty much all in forest, which made getting to the lake a real highlight. We had lots of water the last few miles to Barker Pass in late summer so I'll bet you had tons this early. Thanks for taking me back for a few...
Greg