TR: Tehipite Valley Part III: Suffering for 175 trout

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Tehipite Valley Part III: Suffering for 175 trout

Post by Cross Country »

The Kern is really fun fishing because it covers a hugh amount of territory. To catch dinner my best experience was just above Kern Hot Springs. To catch large fish your best bet is the Kern not too far about Forks of the Kern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

What I liked best about fishing tha Kern is the variety of fishing. On my first trip to the upper Kern I caught a type of trout (upper kern river trout) that I believe is now long extinct. Someone put rainbows in and they inter breed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

i believe that someone could take a 1-2 week trip on the entire Kern and never make more than 1 cast in the same place. Obviously one would want to make several casts in some places and skip most places that looked so so.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

many years ago, I considered hiking down to Tehipite from Simpson meadow. After getting down Goddard creek, we opted to skip that portion of the program. We met 3 guys as we started down Goddard creek who were day hiking down to plan their next day pack down the creek. I asked one of the guys about getting from Tehipite to the road and he said it was doable with lower flows, but there was a section that locals called "the wedge" that was impassable in higher water. I was never able to find that particular nick name on the internet. When we had that discussion, it was 1989, so there was no 'net, but if it was a local reference, you would think that somebody would have mentioned it somewhere in cyber space.

Was there any place on the lower 9 that would fit that description? I have seen it in my dreams many times.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Was there any place on the lower 9 that would fit that description? I have seen it in my dreams many times.
Maybe this?
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.55.15 PM.jpg
Because we were so intent on finding places to cast and not worried about walking in the water there's a good chance that we could have passed through an area that would be impassible with high water and not even noticed. I don't remember anything more 'slot like' than this, though.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

That certainly looks like a big choke point in high water.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.