TR: 10 Day Solo Hike In Kings Canyon & John Muir Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 10 Day Solo Hike In Kings Canyon & John Muir Wildern

Post by Cross Country »

I always wanted to do my trips with someone. I sometimes went alone, not by choice. My trips were almost always cross country. When I went alone I encountered LOTS of solitude and never liked it. I can be alone pretty easily more than the vast majority of people but solitude always seemed really neurotic to like it.
I went those places alone because I had the time and didn't know anybody who could go at that time (I planned my trips around softball) so I went because I love the backcountry experience, but not the solitude. The backcountry is gorgeous and an exploring and an adventure experience. I love those things.
seekinglost
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seekinglost »

Cross Country wrote:I always wanted to do my trips with someone. I sometimes went alone, not by choice. My trips were almost always cross country. When I went alone I encountered LOTS of solitude and never liked it. I can be alone pretty easily more than the vast majority of people but solitude always seemed really neurotic to like it.
I went those places alone because I had the time and didn't know anybody who could go at that time (I planned my trips around softball) so I went because I love the backcountry experience, but not the solitude. The backcountry is gorgeous and an exploring and an adventure experience. I love those things.
I know exactly what you mean! Where I live, there is nowhere to hike and thus none of my buddies are into it. They see where I've gone and want to do it themselves, but aren't willing to spend their vacation time hiking or just flat out aren't willing to put in the effort. So I end up going alone much of the time too. I would like to have some company on these hikes, but I don't mind being by myself either. The thing I don't like about hiking alone sometimes is that I don't have anyone to share my experience with afterwards that can appreciate it. On the other hand, when I do stuff like this on my own, it sure does have a way of building confidence... if I can do this, I can do anything if I just commit to doing it!
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

did Alpine Col about 40 years ago--external frame pack, maybe 55 lbs. it got added to my "must miss" list, along with Sawtooth Pass (first day of first trip, 1972). I stopped hiking with the guy who had both genius ideas...