Backpacking trip mishap from this summer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking trip mishap from this summer

Post by Cross Country »

I got "lost" 2 times. The first time took an extra hour of my time. The second took more than 2 hours. Both times it was because I was overconfident and didn't have a compass. Once was in the rain and once was at 1PM June 22. That day I couldn't use the suns position and the time on the watch to tell me the right direction.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Getting lost with ample provisions is not that bad. I was lost for 3 days once. I actually enjoyed it! (Back in the days trying to follow a 30-minute USGS map in a complex off-trail area, where the map actually had the creeks flowing the wrong direction. One day walking the wrong direction; one day figuring out how to get back and a thrid day getting to where I had intended to go.

Getting lost totally unprepared, such as losing your pack while hiking or not being able to find your tent when you have no gear (beacause you were only going to fetch water, pee at night, etc, is another matter. You may only be lost hours, but it seems like forever and it does have serious consequences. The fortunate thing, is that even if you have to wait out the night for sunrise, you may be very miserable but will survive.

By the way, I NEVER lose sight of my tent or pack when stormy. I always take enough gear to "survive" if not be comfortable when day hiking. I have spent the night out over a dozen times, some planned, some not, and have a real good idea of what I need to survive. (most of these were getting stuck up on a climb). For example, it really helps to take a 2x2 piece of blue foam to sit on.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Been lost. a couple of times.. didn't bother me... Near Mt Shasta once N/E. .22 and a bic lighter. was fine once the fire was going. very comfy..