Backpacking trip mishap from this summer

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking trip mishap from this summer

Post by maverick »

I wish Tarptent would offer a bright colored option.
Ain't gonna happen, have inquired about this before, Henry falls into the environmentally proper, blend into nature camp.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I've always thought it better to blend into the environment given that it's shared. The whole notion of being alone in the wilderness is frequently just an illusion given the traffic and the relative nearness of civilization. So a big bright tent with reflective tape and a flashing superbright LED inside seems like too large a visual footprint.

With GPS technology it would seem much simpler to set a waypoint. A secondary approach is to memorize landmarks to build some temporary cairns if that's insufficient.

I've had trouble locating camp many times. Once we spent hours searching in the dark for our two bivy sacks that were placed in an inconspicuous spot amidst the talus. We'd actually walked right past them, within about 30 feet, an hour or so before we finally located them.

My favorite tent color is yellow though... so the heck with blending in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My favorite tent color is yellow though... so the heck with blending in.
:)

How about placing some strips of Luminous Marking Tape on each of your hiking poles, they are water resistant, and put them in an area, standing erect, near your tent so that they are visible from a distance.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

This is a great thread, and, being 65, I appreciate very much Anne's story. I am with Daisy, in that I never go far from the tarp to pee. I always wear my headlight and glasses when I leave my tarp at night, although I usually have the headlight off. I have temporarily lost my pack when scouting out campsites, and it has been aggravating. I can see how it can become scary very quickly, and am glad to have read this and gotten fair warning. I don't think I will be dropping the pack after this.

I have become seriously disoriented in car campgrounds at night, trying to get back to the tent from the bathroom. I developed the habit of carefully noting my way to the bathroom, landmarks, etc., so I can get back.

Thank you, Oleander, for a very useful discussion.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Given the choice of bright colors or "environmentally" proper subdued colors, the older I get, the more I go for bright colors.
Years ago when I was a poor struggling post-doc backpacking near Bishop Pass with another impoverished academic a clothing cop from the subdued color school passed us in the opposite direction and said, with dripping sarcasm, "You guys certainly are a colorful group!". I laughed to myself because our choice of colors wasn't based on anything other than what was available on sale.

Nowadays days I am usually subdued if I take off my bright red bandana, leave my yellow shoes and matching Dirty Girl peace symbol gaiters back home, and don't put on my home-sewn bright teal rain shorts. :lol:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I wear surplus marine desert pants and a grey flannel plaid long sleeve shirt. Try and find me. :)
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Mountaineers usually prefer brightly colored clothing, packs and tents so base camp can easily be found at the end of a long day's climb and sometimes in a white-out.
I'm no mountaineer, so I pick bright colored gear in case anyone needs to be able to spot the corpse. Happy thoughts! :D
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Seems this is one of those "it could never happen to me" issues. When I first read the story I found it interesting, but of course "it could never happen to me". Um, except this similar story I remembered earlier today. Oddly it involves my car, a much larger object than a tent....and in the middle of the day. :o

Years back I made a trip to Courtright Reservoir for a quick hike up to Eagle Peak. Eagle Peak is a little off trail escapade which is achieved by walking up a ridge line to the west of the parking area for the Cliff Lake trail head (at the end of the dirt road on the N/W side of the reservoir). The hike was so simple, I didn't think much about it, I just parked my car at the end of the road, got out and started the short hike uphill. There was snow on the ground, and as fate has it, my car is the same color as the trees surrounding the parking area (Nissan calls it "Canteen").

So I got to the top, enjoyed the views for a few minutes and started my leisurely descent back to the car. I got to the bottom of the ridge and kept walking to, uh, where is my car? Seems I had walked just north of, and beyond my car. If I had been a little further south I would have crossed the obvious road or parking area, but with snow on the ground the trail was covered to the north.

While I did find my car soon thereafter, it was one of those moments. I now drive a bright red Jeep. :D
EaglePeak042.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

One in our group back in 2006 decided that in broad daylight on our way out down Rafferty towards that big slanty paved parking lot that he would just continue walking down the trail instead of making the turn towards the parking lot. Later in the day, we get this crackly call over the walkie talkie.. "Where are you guys? Where is the truck?" :nod: To be fair, as we all hike at different paces, we were way spaced out and he didn't see us. I was proud that they even turned on the radios..
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

The best part is that she made it back safely. The main thing I kept thinking about while reading the story was that many years of experience does give one a positive edge.......but only up through late middle age. One of the hardest things for me to accept was that my razor sharp instincts began to lose their edge as I got into my late 50s and early 60s. Acknowledging that strength and sensory judgement are not as keen when we enter older age is necessary if we are to still go into the backcountry and stay alive. Thinking we can still do the things we could way back then is dangerous. Though it sucks, we have to take extra precautions to compensate for decreased abilities.