Do your dogs hike?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Moonwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Do your dogs hike?

Post by Moonwalker »

Touchy subject because it's hard to separate dogs from their owners. I don't have a dog, so I can't answer the original question. But when I see a dog off leash, I check it out to see if it is a threat. I must admit, if it comes up to me I wonder if it has good intentions. If the owner is around, usually they will signal that it's all good. At Muir Pass last summer I met a dog off leash, and not a happy dog, though she seemed to be a smart dog, sitting in her master's lap. She growled at me as I approached the door to the hut. Her master tried to distract her. I later met another hiker who got growled at by the same dog. No big deal, there are lots of hazards in the wilderness, and it's easy, maybe too easy, to resent the ones that are intentionally brought in by other humans. Even when they aren't hazardous!