Elizabeth Pass to Colby Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
punchcard
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Elizabeth Pass to Colby Pass?

Post by punchcard »

Is there a trail along the ridge from Elizabeth Pass to Colby Pass via Coppermine Pass and Triple Divide Pass? If not is it easily (class 1/2) passible?
punchcard
Topix Novice

Re: Elizabeth Pass to Colby Pass?

Post by punchcard »

As near as I can tell, if I want to stay in class 2 territory, I can go from Elizabeth Pass to Coppermine Pass down in to Cloud Canyon. Then hit the Colby Pass trail north of the Whaleback.

My question is, how do I get down into Cloud Canyon from Coppermine Pass? Do I hike the ridge to Lion Lake Pass then down or straight down from Coppermine Pass?

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

My question is, how do I get down into Cloud Canyon from Coppermine Pass? Do I hike the ridge to Lion Lake Pass then down or straight down from Coppermine Pass?
The "Search" feature is you friend Punchcard. :)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8449#p61507
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

punchcard wrote:As near as I can tell, if I want to stay in class 2 territory, I can go from Elizabeth Pass to Coppermine Pass down in to Cloud Canyon. Then hit the Colby Pass trail north of the Whaleback.

Thanks
There is a relatively straightforward route from Coppermine Pass down into Cloud Canyon. The upper section from Coppermine Pass is a stroll through stable-ish scree, but toward the bottom I took a route down a steep talus "wall" to the final section where it finally levels out. From there it is all easy and there is even an old miners/use trail that leads down through the canyon and finally to a horse camp just before the junction with the Colby Pass trail. Beware, there is a section about 1/2 down Cloud Canyon where the trail disappears (at least it did for me:) and it's necessary to bushwhack and go right through the creek for a while, but the canyon is beautiful and worth the effort.

Map of my route:
coppermine to cloud canyon.JPG
A few photos, in order on the way down from Coppermine Pass and into Cloud Canyon:

From Coppermine Pass looking toward Triple Divide Pass:
34.JPG
On the hike down the easy scree section:
35.JPG
Pano looking down into Cloud Canyon on the way down:
36.jpg
Looking back up toward Coppermine Pass:
36-1.JPG
The horrible talus route (much better route slightly higher up):
37.JPG
The beginning of the easy stroll into the canyon, there's a use trail in there somewhere:
38.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
punchcard
Topix Novice

Post by punchcard »

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. The map is perfect.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Great! Have fun, and Peak 12,345 (aka Coppermine Peak) is worth the short side trip along the way.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I did the reverse of the route you are talking about in 1991. The route is totally cross country and if you are very careful and good at route finding, it is no more than class 2+. Triple Divide Pass is the most difficult section. It is NOT a route for those inexperienced with cross country travel. For some photos, visit: http://www.sierrahiker.com/TripleDivide ... index.html