TR: Geezers Do Roper's Route Chapter 6, 8/4-13/2016

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Geezers Do Roper's Route Chapter 6, 8/4-13/2016 : Part 1

Post by Bluewater »

Thank you for your photos and detailed trip report. I went through this route, although in the opposite direction, earlier this summer and it's nice to relive it back at home.

I almost took the variation you took along the east ridge of Conness but mainly due to a navigation error. I was unsure if the alternate would work so I ended up dropping back down to the route described by Roper and climbed the steep section uphill. There were a few signs of other people taking the same route, but it was steep in some sections!

That tedious talus on the northwest side of Sky Pilot Col seemed endless! . . .and there was a large talus canyon that doesn't really show on the map. I ended up taking a 'short cut' high on the south side of the approach that fortunately lead right to the snowfield at the base of the final chute. I would have much rather been going downhill near the top of the pass:)

Looking forward to the next installment.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Re: Geezers Do Roper's Route Chapter 6, 8/4-13/2016 : Part 2

Post by Bluewater »

I can relate to your experience on Stanton Pass. I was climbing up those class III ledges on the south side and the was surprised by the amount of exposure. They were at an angle that made it hard to get much traction and I remember thinking (possibly out load, I was by myself:), " I wouldn't want to go DOWN that"!

Thanks again for your TR, it makes me homesick for the backcountry :)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Geezers Do Roper's Route Chapter 6, 8/4-13/2016 : Part 2

Post by giantbrookie »

What a wonderful adventure and inspiration to younger couples such as me and my wife (57 and 56). Well done. We will do our best to be capable of doing a trip like that when we reach your age. I should add that the majority of my college-age geology students would not be able to keep up with you two.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Geezers Do Roper's Route Chapter 6, 8/4-13/2016

Post by Cross Country »

I am really impressed by what you did. I could never have done that at 68 and probably not at 65 either.