Seeking info on SF Big Pine

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ryanahuetter
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Seeking info on SF Big Pine

Post by ryanahuetter »

Has anyone here been above Willow Lake in the drainage leading up to Ellinor or the tarns below Gayley? Looking for another option to access Sill that doesn't involve the shenanigans dealing with Glacier Notch.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seeking info on SF Big Pine

Post by maverick »

Hi Ryan,

The area above Willow to below Sill has a lot of talus, which is pretty but very tedious, if you don't mind some climbing (since you are avoiding Glacier Pass), you could use Contact Pass (somewhat easier than GP) from Second Lake to access the East Couloir Route area, which I assume you are planning to use.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org