Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Matt_W
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by Matt_W »

What trailhead are you trying to get? I see all the Inyo trailheads on Recreation.gov reporting 99+ permit availability until April 30 (when the non-quota season ends.) https://www.recreation.gov/permits/2332 ... 2021-04-22
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mort »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 pm... For a Yosemite permit, I can put in three trip options, but I have not found any way to figure out if my desired trailhead has any remaining spots...
See the trail reports page (linked from the first permit page) https://yosemite.org/wildtrails/report For example Glacier to Illilouette:
G-I_list.JPG
-mort
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Matt_W wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:26 pm What trailhead are you trying to get? I see all the Inyo trailheads on Recreation.gov reporting 99+ permit availability until April 30 (when the non-quota season ends.) https://www.recreation.gov/permits/2332 ... 2021-04-22
Looking for Cottonwood Pass, mid-late June (quota season begins June 25 for this TH). Rec.gov just shows blank spaces prior to this date. Same for a few other THs (River Trail, Shadow Creek, etc), except that these few show blank spaces (rather than “99+“ entries) prior to May 1st.
Maybe just a glitch ?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks. I had to prove I am not a robot to see the list.

Evidently one cannot reserve a Glacier Point entry until after May 28. I wonder if that means the road will be closed until then? I am going in from Tunnel View on May 12 and was actually hoping the road would be closed so more camping options past Bridalveil Creek are available. I have camped on the top of Taft Point before when the road was still snowed in.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm I finally realized that SEKI areas are alphabetized under SEKI, not included in the general list.
Is there a map showing the location of each choice so one could figure this out before starting the reservation process?
See the map here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11878
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
Matt_W
Topix Novice

Post by Matt_W »

grampy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:41 pm Maybe just a glitch ?
Yeah, that's weird. It's possible since this is a Golden Trout trail (GT60), you have to use Golden Trout's permit system, which still requires emailing your permit?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/ ... ev3_059517
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I just realized that the Yosemite permit system is being run by the Yosemite Association. If you have questions they have a text box. I asked one and got a speedy response. Days of calling the Yosemite Wilderness Office I never got through.

I am a bit worried because you have to call to say you will be picking up your permit after 10AM. If I have any kind of a traffic delay I cannot reach the Big Oak entrance by 10AM. What if I call and cannot get through? I have no idea of why they set a 10AM pick-up time when they are not giving out no-shows anyway. A lot of people are not going to be able to pick up permits by 10AM.

I found Cottonwood Pass under Golden Trout. You have to go the "filters" button and click on all sub-areas. Then it will show up and you can book a trip.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am ... I found Cottonwood Pass under Golden Trout. You have to go the "filters" button and click on all sub-areas. Then it will show up and you can book a trip.
Yes, I knew where it was and how to book. I was concerned about not being able to book if the date slot was showing as blank.
But I think I figured it out. Last summer (when all the permit procedures being modified due to Covid), someone mentioned that for “pre-quota” (and “non-quota”) slots, changing the “W” entries to “99+” had to be entered manually by the Inyo Wilderness office. They probably do a few trailheads per day - the entries are already looking different than they were a few days ago.
I suspect they will get around to updating Cottonwood Pass (and the rest) in the next week or so.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Sorry I misinterpreted your question Grampy. Good to know what that 99+ means.

I really do not have a feel of how picky the authorities will be with permits this year. I guess I will find out. For flexibility, I have a generic route with a set first night, trailhead start and then several internal sub-routes that I can take when I get there. I add a day to my planned hiking, just so I have the option to come out a bit later or pick up my permit and start a day later. I permitted a September Shepherd Pass-Cottonwood trip, although I just may loop back to Shepherd. Cottonwood is a stricter permit area, so I wanted the option to end there if I can con my husband into picking me up. I doubt anyone cares if I come back down Shepherd Pass. And except for the "big name trailheads" I do not see that they will be any more strict than they were before. Sorry, but I am not going to step out of my car in a pouring down rain or lightning. If I have to I will just wait until the next morning.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:24 pm ... I permitted a September Shepherd Pass-Cottonwood trip ...
Coincidentally, I’ve started planning a Cottonwood-Shepherd trip for sometime next summer, inspired largely by past trip reports by you (and others).
The intent for this June’s trip is to do a solo recon of Crabtree Pass, approaching from the north (PCT) side - as it would certainly be the crux of next year’s (group) trip so I’d like to confirm my abilities (or lack thereof).
In the event my “recon” trip doesn’t happen, I’ll certainly study yours.