Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by sambieni »

Definitely a SEKI request.

It wasn't the end of the world last year, an added hiccup I wish I could have avoided and on-trail about 90 minutes later than I would have liked. But fine in the end.. We were in Grey's Meadows and raced down to the permit station for its opening at 8. If you want to get in/out fast, I would highly recommend arriving at least 30 minutes prior to opening. We did and line quickly was forming shortly after that to be first-in-the-door.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I'll find some other corner of the wilderness where I can experience nature, not a game.
-Phil
x4
I hope we meet you there one fine day! the Harlens
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by franklin411 »

Anyone know what the correct fee is to change an entry/exit date on an advance permit SEKI reservation? I'm trying to change the date on a June reservation (not the trail or # of people), and my date change was approved by email...but the system is charging me the new permit reservation fee of $20. I thought minor changes were $10.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Changes to the entry date or trailhead and increases in group size must be made at least one week before your entry date. Additional people will incur an additional $5/person fee but can only be increased if quota space is available and must be paid for over the phone ahead of time. Changes to reduce group size can be made at any time with no additional cost. Once processed, fees are not refundable.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm

Call them: Wilderness Office at (559-565-3766)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

maverick wrote:SEKI NP:
Changes to the entry date or trailhead and increases in group size must be made at least one week before your entry date. Additional people will incur an additional $5/person fee but can only be increased if quota space is available and must be paid for over the phone ahead of time. Changes to reduce group size can be made at any time with no additional cost. Once processed, fees are not refundable.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... ermits.htm

Call them: Wilderness Office at (559-565-3766)
Thanks! Ya, there's also this on the permit app:

Can I make changes to my trip after my application is processed?
Changes to the entry date or trail and increases in group size must be made at least one week before your entry date. Additional people will incur an additional $5/ person fee if quota space is available. Any additional changes result in a $10 processing fee.

It sounds like the fee should be $10, right? It seems like pay.gov is using a dumb formula that can't do anything more than charge $10 + $5 per person (ie it can't differentiate between a change fee and a new permit origination fee...it just charges the same amount regardless).

I sent them an email about the issue this afternoon and I've been calling too, but no one has answered the phone.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I sent them an email about the issue this afternoon and I've been calling too, but no one has answered the phone.
Please write us up a follow-up here Franklin. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
franklin411
Topix Regular

Post by franklin411 »

K, they emailed me back today. No fee to change the date on an existing permit, and the confirmation email they send out for a permit change is the same form letter they use for a new permit issuance. I was told to ignore the payment language.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

K, they emailed me back today. No fee to change the date on an existing permit, and the confirmation email they send out for a permit change is the same form letter they use for a new permit issuance. I was told to ignore the payment language.
:thumbsup: Thanks

sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Do you know if you can change name on SEKI permit for pickup?
Permit for Rae Lakes is under my name, but looking like I will no longer be able to do the trip. Any clue how I can make sure rest of group can still go?
oddtiger
Topix Regular

Post by oddtiger »

You can call them (559-565-3766)to see if an alternative leader can be added. They didn't check my ID though for my last two trips...
sambieni wrote:Do you know if you can change name on SEKI permit for pickup?
Permit for Rae Lakes is under my name, but looking like I will no longer be able to do the trip. Any clue how I can make sure rest of group can still go?